Talk

Advanced search

Is there any reason why I can't put bleach in the washing machine instead of washing powder?

(6 Posts)
Prunerz Mon 12-Oct-09 19:48:36

I have a couple of things that I need to bleach. I know I can soak them in a bucket, but I want to remove some colour, and that's likely to be a bit uneven.

Can I put a cup of bleach in the washing machine and if so, would it be on a cold wash or would heat make a difference?

Is it likely to damage the machine? I am quite fond of it and it isn't easily replaceable.

HeadFairy Mon 12-Oct-09 19:50:01

You can buy proper laundry bleach... I'd be more inclined to use that than anything else in case it corroded the pipes in the machine.

Prunerz Mon 12-Oct-09 19:54:57

So Sainsbury's 27p Thin Bleach wouldn't be the same? Damn.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 12-Oct-09 19:55:52

You can't, it's got chlorine in it - it will indeed rot rubber pipes. Sorry.

Laundry bleach is different.

Prunerz Mon 12-Oct-09 23:15:21

Oh poo. Thanks though.

ChristieF Thu 15-Oct-09 13:05:10

Why can't you put bleach into the machine? Have you checked your booklet? Americans routinely put bleach in theirs. I routinely put bleach in mine. White school shirts a bugger to clean. Now and again I put powder in the drawer and pour bleach on top. Close the drawer sharpish as I'm sure fumes can't be good for you. I think if you do it now and agai n it's not bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now