Talk

Advanced search

Washing Powder - Which one ACTUALLY works, or am I doing something wrong?

(21 Posts)
LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 10-Oct-09 14:44:08

I have tried many washing powders - always different as have to buy whatever is on special offer blush and we are currently finishing up a box of Surf Tropical.
The next box in line is Daz Lime & Mandarin Splash.

My washing machine is 9 months old so don't think it's the machine. Though engineer is due as it's making a slight banging noise on one side on a high spin. hmm

I can never seems to shift:

Grubby neck marks in DS1s school collars

Grub from the front of DS3s clothes where he drags himself along commando style (10months)

Some food stains from DS3s clothes.

But CAN shift:

Engine oil, break dust, petrol, diesel from DHs work stuff.

Grass greens.

Felt pen

Please tell me which washing powder you find the best or which one shifts the most stains.
I have tried different temps too.
We are in a hard water area.

Thanks in advance.

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 10-Oct-09 14:45:48

Oh God, I mean BRAKE dust! blush lol

LowLevelWhingeing Sat 10-Oct-09 14:45:58

Which? test them all and ariel comes out best.

saltyseadog Sat 10-Oct-09 14:46:10

I use Formil by Lidl. Cheap and cheerful but geunuinely does the job. I occasionally boost a wash with a scoop of own brand Vanish (try Wilko's - MUCH cheaper than Oxy whatsit or Vanish powder).

MrsBadger Sat 10-Oct-09 14:55:07

nothign works on all those things

get a vanish stick

Furball Sat 10-Oct-09 14:59:50

I have old washing up bottle with dilute mix of washing up liquid in.

squirt it all over stains before going in the wash. cheaper and better than stain remover

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 10-Oct-09 15:00:50

Thanks for replies - Mrs Badger - Really? What a PITA! Surely they are the ones they need to work on most?! shock

So at least I know I am not a shoddy washer then as washing is the only chore I don't mind too much - some days I enjoy it - getting crispy white sheets out on the line and the house smelling of clean washing, simple pleasures eh?!

peanutbutterkid Sat 10-Oct-09 15:01:26

Yeah, you need to scrub by hand those things. Try
Oil and Grease: Swarfega.
Grime around the collar: Napisan if it's a white shirt.
Felt pen: look up on the Internet, I have a feeling vinegar is good.

Tomato, Wine, Grass stains and some food stains are impossible once they set; but almost everything is likely to shift if tackled immediately.

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 10-Oct-09 15:01:49

X posted with Furball.

Will try that - Ta.

LowLevelWhingeing Sat 10-Oct-09 15:02:18

Are you my MIL? <suspicious squinty eyes>

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 10-Oct-09 15:09:37

Who me?! shock

LowLevelWhingeing Sat 10-Oct-09 16:30:00

OK, I'm sorry, I take it back. You're not MIL.

You just sounded like her for a moment. But I accept, my MIL does not have school age sons, so you're off the hook.

Flum Sun 11-Oct-09 21:10:07

Yeah , you need to pre-treat with something like a fairy soap, or varnish.

wicked Sun 11-Oct-09 21:11:49

I use Ariel or Bold and am happy with it. Sometimes I put in a scoop of Vanish if there are obvious food stains.

nancy75 Sun 11-Oct-09 21:14:03

fairy washing up liquid gets off most stains, put abit on rub it in a bit then wash as normal

pushmepullyou Sun 11-Oct-09 21:41:53

I use vanish spray and Bold tablets and find that works for most things. Be careful with the vanish on non clourfast fabrics though, and particularly don't leave it in on something in the machine and forget to turn the machine and go to work. You will come home to unattractively tie-died everything!

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 13-Oct-09 08:43:10

Washing liquid is good on some, food stains esp and greasy stuff.

I use vanish if needed plus a higher temp.

With my machine not over filling plus making sure you are using the right amount of stuff.

Daz Lime & Mandarin Splash, I'm loving this at the mo btw.

What cycle/temp are you using?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 13-Oct-09 09:15:28

For tricky stuff I do an overnight soak in biotex. Seems to do the job for me.

BertieBotts Tue 13-Oct-09 09:26:13

For food stains (and baby poo) I dry outside in the sun - you might say that's not much good at this time of year but actually I've found it helpful to leave food-stained things (fruit and veg stains especially, like tomato, strawberry...) on the line outside for about half a day (or overnight getting the sunset and sunrise before I get up) even if it does get soaked/not dry, then I dry on an airer inside (you could tumble dry, I don't have a TD - and you can put it through a rinse cycle if you feel the rain is dirty, which I suppose it is! But I never bother.)

motheroftwoboys Tue 13-Oct-09 16:14:35

I have tried many others but always go back to Aerial bio plus a scoop of Oxy powder (if on offer) or any supermarket own brand version. always got my DSs filthy school shirts beautifully white. Never seem to need to pre-wash or soak. I also use White Wizard (Lakeland sell it) which is one of those stain removers that you can't imagine how it works but it does!! grin on any extra horrid stains. However I still wash at 40 degrees and I know I should go down to 30 now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now