Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please any top tips for getting totally rid of the smell of vomit!

(8 Posts)
Warwickmum Thu 08-Oct-09 20:17:24

My poor DS is having a bit of a nightmare with his first teeth coming through which seems to be accompanied by a horrible cough (checked with Dr and she said chest fine and likely to be to do with teeth) that is causing him to bring back the totallity of his dinner and pudding sad. This has happened 4 or 5 times in the last couple of weeks, despite leaving him in his high chair for ages to let it go down. Twice he did it on wooden floor so easy to remove, but the other times have been all over the carpet and rug, and twice on the sofa in different areas when I had him on my lap trying to 'wind' him a bit.
The problem is that I can stil smell it in carpet/rug/sofa (we bought before any thoughts of having DS and stupidly covers can't be washed!) (last nights episode took a good 30 min to clean up), despite trying washing up liquid, that zoflora stuff that stinks to high heaven, pine disinfectant, antibacterial hand liquid hand soap, sprinkling bicarb on once cleaned and dry, that fabreeze type stuff - none of which have done the job. Does anyone have a tried and tested method/receipe for getting rid of the smell (especially as MIL coming to visit weekend after next!!). Any solutions gratefully received!

HerBeatitude Thu 08-Oct-09 20:19:27

I think bicarb with water and scrubbed, rather than just sprinkling on dry.

Warwickmum Thu 08-Oct-09 20:24:58

Thanks - any idea how much bicarb to water?

clarea1 Thu 08-Oct-09 20:31:02

i put bicarb on the 'cream' carpet which was damp from being cleaned (after brothers drunken attempts to clean up) then used my carpet washer and repeated bicarb/washer several times.... both on the carpet and setee cover. when it dried there was no trace.
My parents came home and were none the wiser (vomit was bright pink too!)
My brother was exceptionally grateful!

Warwickmum Thu 08-Oct-09 21:07:11

Mmm, does that mean Mummy needs to ask Santa for a carpet cleaner for Christmas!!

liznay Fri 09-Oct-09 20:06:05

I had a friends toddler vomit all over my floor in the summer and this was how I got rid of the smell after talking to a taxi driver that has used the same technique:

1) clear up the worst of the vomit
2) get some concetrated biological liquid detergent(has to be biological to break down the proteins in the vomit)
3) Use warm (not hot) water and the liquid on the stain and scrub
4) rinse with a clean cloth
5) sprinkle over bicarb of soda over the damp patch and leave to dry
6)once dry vacumn off

works a treat!

clarea1 Sat 10-Oct-09 20:06:48

bio powder is great for any 'body fluids' - inc' pet accidents.

Warwickmum Thu 15-Oct-09 12:58:23

Thanks for the info. Think we have got smell of sick out of the rug, but now starting to move to the 'wet dog' smellsad, i think cos the rug quite thick and has been quite wet from the washing and guessing taking longer to dry totally than I realised. Not sure which is worse!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now