Talk

Advanced search

Drying washing in winter

(9 Posts)
SardineJam Thu 08-Oct-09 09:45:23

We moved to a new house in the spring and bar a few days we were able to get many loads of washing dry on the line outside. However...bit stuck as to what's the best solution now that the rains have started; unfortunately we dont have a tumble dryer or airing cupboard and dont want to switch the heating on until its absolutely necessary. Im sure there are others in the same situation, so any ideas please

FlamingoBingo Thu 08-Oct-09 09:47:26

Airers are the only way, I'm afraid, and they take ages sad. They take less time once you get the heating on.

I think it's just one of those things - drying clothes is very, very difficult in Autumn and early Spring when you don't have the heating on but outside drying isn't so easy.

It's still worth doing outside drying whenever it's a sunny day.

BonsoirAnna Thu 08-Oct-09 09:47:39

You are asking the impossible!

Why don't you buy a tumble dryer? You don't need to dry things to bone dry and use lots of electricity - just spin clothes very hard in the machine and tumble enough to get the creases out and then leave to dry on an airer.

ZacharyQuack Thu 08-Oct-09 09:58:23

Lakeland have heated airers, which are supposed to be quite good.

SardineJam Thu 08-Oct-09 10:51:30

Sunny day today! Unfortunately we dont have space for a tumble drier, the only empty space we do have in our house is a spare room
I will investigate the ones at Lakeland, just not looking forward to the months ahead, esp with all the washing that comes with having a baby

bamboobutton Thu 08-Oct-09 10:55:57

could you get a condensing tumble drier and put it under the stairs or in a shed with a power point?

i have my tumble drier in the shed and i couldn't live witout it. our house has enough condensation in the winter without adding to it with damp laundry hanging about.

star6 Thu 08-Oct-09 10:56:57

a heated airer... wow, I can't believe I've never thought of/heard of this. AMAZING. I am ridiculously excited about this idea. I'm going to look around online for the cheapest one I can find and try it out. What a fabulous idea!

cremolatorium Thu 08-Oct-09 11:07:35

one of \link{http://www.pulleymaid.com/ClassicClothesAirer.htm\these in your hall or kitchen.
I also use a cheap clothes rail and hang all shirts and light items on hangers with gaps in between. They dry quite quickly this way,

cremolatorium Thu 08-Oct-09 11:09:12

one of these in your hall or kitchen.
I also use a cheap clothes rail and hang all shirts and light items on hangers with gaps in between. They dry quite quickly this way.

sorry blip there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now