Talk

Advanced search

What is better to keep a child warm at night - double duvet or overthrow/quilt?

(11 Posts)
stressed2007 Thu 08-Oct-09 02:44:56

My daughter keeps losing her duvet at night and wakes up cold. What do you think is better - buying a double duvet (she has a single bed) and hoping when this shifts some of it stays on (or clip it on with clips - question about how effective these are is on other thread) or to get one of the much heavier laura ashley type bedspread/quilt things that make the bed look nice and hope this stays on (though I think this may make the bed feel very heavy). Any suggestions? Thanks very much

FlameWithTooManyHormones Thu 08-Oct-09 08:00:56

My mum put buttons a few inches from the top and bottom (on both sides) and then two bits of elastic went right under the mattress and the buttons went into that to hold it on the bed.

Simple but very effective

fairybubbles Thu 08-Oct-09 12:26:05

i'd be unsure about clipping a duvet on, if little ones become too hot in the night i think its important they can kick of the covers. I would go for some thermal vests and maybe thick pj's. then layer up the covers using a throw.

I maybe only say this as my little one had a febril convulsion once (caused by a high temp) and I know its important he is neither too hot or cold. Sorry don't mean to alarm you, just my feeling on the matter.

giveloveachance Thu 08-Oct-09 12:39:14

my dd is a little wriggler so its pjs and socks, and if she insists on a nightie, i put pj bottoms on too! I use a blanket which is much bigger than the bed so drapes but is not so heavy it falls off, and she often curls herself up in it!

Flum Thu 08-Oct-09 22:21:38

Put single duvet on crossways not lengthways and tuck in on both sides but not tightly. I did that when mine were too little to cover themselves up again in the night.

laurz75 Thu 08-Oct-09 22:27:59

Both my children have fleece 'big-foot' suits over the top of their PJ's. They can then kick off the duvet but don't wake up freezing.

FourArms Fri 09-Oct-09 10:58:17

I put a single duvet length ways on DS2, and tuck it down the 'wall' side of the bed.

Nice fleecy PJs in Primark though!

peanutbutterkid Sat 10-Oct-09 15:02:21

Hot water bottle.

Romanarama Sat 10-Oct-09 15:09:32

Mine wear mothercare fleece sleep suits, so they're warm enough without the duvet and can come down for breakfast without slippers etc. But otherwise put the duvet crossways and tuck a lot of it in underneath on the wall side so it can't fall off, or buy a wider one and do the same. The quilt thing will fall off just like the duvet does.

cat64 Sat 10-Oct-09 15:10:28

Message withdrawn

Cammelia Sat 10-Oct-09 15:12:37

A top sheet tucked in, duvet on top and a thin coverlet/bedspread thingy on top of that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now