Talk

Advanced search

There's half a key stuck in my filing cabinet...

(7 Posts)
flowerybeanbag Wed 07-Oct-09 10:23:03

No idea whether this should be in this topic but don't know where else to put it.

DH was moving our filing cabinet upstairs yesterday. He sensibly emptied it first, and shut and locked the drawers, however he forgot to take the key out hmm. As a result when moving it up the stairs the key snapped in half, leaving half in the lock.

We've managed to get it unlocked so the cabinet is useable, but is there any way we can get the key out?

DH had the marvellous hmm idea of putting superglue on the end of the half a key we have, putting it in the lock, sticking it to the other half and pulling it out. I pointed out that a blob of superglue is more likely to get the key stuck in there...

Any ideas?

LadyoftheBathtub Wed 07-Oct-09 10:24:33

I have got a broken key out of a lock in the past using the tiny tweezers that come in a swiss army knife. Or eyebrow tweezers might be small enough?

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 07-Oct-09 10:24:41

Strong magnet?

flowerybeanbag Wed 07-Oct-09 10:26:28

Might try tweezers, that's a good idea. I said to DH that I reckon people will say strong magnet BIWI, but we don't have one unfortunately.

ninedragons Wed 07-Oct-09 10:34:11

Spray WD40 in the lock and use tweezers.

flowerybeanbag Wed 07-Oct-09 11:18:27

Thanks all. I think I will try the WD40 and hopefully my tweezers will fit, otherwise we'll be in search of a strong magnet from somewhere!

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 07-Oct-09 12:02:51

I reckon that if you're really careful with the superglue that might work - spread a really thin layer on the broken face and use a cotton bud to wipe off any residue on the sides.

But only if the tweezer option doesn't work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now