Talk

Advanced search

How do I remove ?limescale? from around my bath taps?

(15 Posts)
GoldenSnitch Tue 06-Oct-09 20:40:17

All around my bath/shower tap on the bath is a horrid, rough, yellowy/orange ring of what I think is limescale and I can't get it off!!

Does anyone know an easy way of removing it?

Fume free if possible as I'm pregnant and trying to avoid strong chemicals at the moment.

TIA

jenwyn Tue 06-Oct-09 20:45:25

Kim n Aggie say a vinegar soaked cloth covered with a plastic bag and tied on with a rubber band will do the trick if left a few hours.
I prefer just using a pumice stone which doesnt scratch metal but makes short work of limescale.

BikeRunSki Tue 06-Oct-09 20:48:40

Vinegar
Toothbrush
Elbow grease

GoldenSnitch Tue 06-Oct-09 20:49:46

Hmm, I don't have a pumice stone but could get one....

What sort of vinegar?

specialmagiclady Tue 06-Oct-09 20:50:41

Vinegar will deff do it. Can't remember if you need to make paste with bicarb too.

4andnotout Tue 06-Oct-09 20:54:13

I soak a cloth in vinegar and drape on limescaley bits, or a plastic sandwhich bag filled with vinegar and tied onto the taps.

GoldenSnitch Tue 06-Oct-09 20:59:22

Right, so how long do I leave it?

Should I do it tonight and rinse it off in the morning?

It won't damage the chrome taps will it?

GoldenSnitch Tue 06-Oct-09 21:00:49

is plain, white vinegar OK?

CMOTdibbler Tue 06-Oct-09 21:03:01

Plain white vinegar, kitchen roll, soak paper in vinegar, plaster it onto the limescale, and leave overnight. Rinse after

Do not do this if you have gold coloured taps though - it will take the gold colour off

hormonstersnomore Tue 06-Oct-09 21:03:52

Plain white vinegar left to soak overnight worked on my taps. Make sure you rinse it off thoroughly as it's acid (I'm quoting Kim now grin)lovie!

GoldenSnitch Tue 06-Oct-09 21:05:42

No gold coloured taps CMOT, just chrome.

I have white vinegar and kitchen roll - off to do it now.

You've also reminded me that I need to get the book I'm reading finished so I can start Unseen Academicals grin

ThingOne Tue 06-Oct-09 21:09:08

And if you can't leave it soaking overnight, or the patch is too tiny, or too hard to reach, you can use gel-kilrock "thick non-drip descaler. It comes with a brush so is great for the really tricky areas. I got mine from the local independent hardware shop.

And buy your plain white vinegar in a 5-litre (one gallon) bottle from an eco/health food shop, or an old fahioned green-grocer. It's very cheap!

VicarInaBooTu Tue 06-Oct-09 21:55:21

so am i missing a trick then with cheapo vinegar - i use cillit bang! effective but bloody expensive!

GoldenSnitch Tue 06-Oct-09 21:56:26

I've used white, distilled vinegar cause it's al I had in the house (except balsamic!) Will that be OK?

Guess I'll find out in the morning!!!

I've managed to bust the toilet brush and the loo seat today so the bathrooom and I are not having a good day so far!

GoldenSnitch Wed 07-Oct-09 07:46:32

Definitely missing a trick Vicar.

I put the vinegar soaked kitchen roll on last night and this morning, I wiped the limescale away with a bit of toilet roll and rinsed thoroughly with the shower head! Not a patch of the horrid yellow-y limescale that's been bugging me (and resisting all bathroom cleaners) for months!!!

No elbow grease required

You ladies are geniuses grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now