Talk

Advanced search

Smokers next door

(18 Posts)
AvengingGerbil Mon 05-Oct-09 09:13:03

Not sure if this is the right place for this.

I live in a terraced house. Next door is now (newly)rented out to students. They smoke. My whole house now stinks.

What do you recommend I do to get rid of the smell (short of complaining to the landlord, which may come, but not yet...)?

fishie Mon 05-Oct-09 09:15:51

where is it coming in? i have had this problem too, neighbours smoking outside front of house and it came in thruogh the air bricks into box room - still smells and they moved a year ago.

i also get bacon smells wafting under floor boards. I think carpets would help.

stuffitllllama Mon 05-Oct-09 09:17:54

you can have low level incense or perhaps just a candle burning for immediate disguise

how shocking that it comes through

there is a product.. i can't remember what it's called .. it neutralises tobacco smell without making its own smell

my flatmate used to use it and its very effective

will try to find

AvengingGerbil Mon 05-Oct-09 09:17:59

I have carpets, fishie. I think it must be coming through the fireplaces, even though they're boarded up. That or it's just permeating through the walls in general.

(I was also disconcerted to notice the most enormous bong I've ever seen in their sitting room - so I guess it's not even all tobacco we're 'enjoying'...)

stuffitllllama Mon 05-Oct-09 09:19:52

some ideas here

that product isn't like febreze or air wick, it's specifically for tobacco

sorry i can't find it

AvengingGerbil Mon 05-Oct-09 09:19:53

Thanks llama - I'm not keen on going the incense /artificial airfresheners route as I'm allergic to the chemicals. The neutralising one sounds good.

stuffitllllama Mon 05-Oct-09 09:21:16

got it! tralala

neutradol

overmydeadbody Mon 05-Oct-09 09:23:15

You can get odourless candles that neutralise tobacco smells, my next door neighbor smokes and I have a candle that seems to do the trick.

AvengingGerbil Mon 05-Oct-09 09:24:31

Great, Llama, I'll try that, thanks.

But I'd rather stop the smoke at source rather than cover it up afterwards!

stuffitllllama Mon 05-Oct-09 09:26:00

quite right

deadbody's candle sounds even better tbh no chems at all

stuffitllllama Mon 05-Oct-09 09:27:19

actually it might be worth checking with the landlord -- there might be a no smoking clause they are disregarding

overmydeadbody Mon 05-Oct-09 09:28:03

and I can add that the neutradol works, my aunt uses it in her house as she smokes in her house, and you wouldn't know, it never smells of cigarettes.

overmydeadbody Mon 05-Oct-09 09:31:12

Yep, check, if it's the same landlord would the contracts be the same? Does your contract state no smoking because in that case theirs probably does too.

AvengingGerbil Mon 05-Oct-09 09:46:43

I don't know the landlord - I own this house. I know who the letting agents are - do you think it would be worth contacting them?

stuffitllllama Mon 05-Oct-09 09:52:47

if it's your only avenue, then yes -- they might be managing it

did you not know your neighbours before they let the house?

if it was me (I am a landlord) I would be VERY grateful for the heads up

AvengingGerbil Mon 05-Oct-09 10:05:06

I had a lovely neighbour for 10 years, but he died and his daughter (naturally) sold the house to the highest bidder. They've never lived here, and though I might recognise him I don't know his name or have any contact details.

I guess I'll call the agents, then!

MaggieW Mon 05-Oct-09 16:19:13

We had this from next door too. Our builder put that expanding foam stuff under and behind the skirting boards on the adjoining room wall and it did the trick. Perhaps they can do it on their side too?

Ditto what stuffitlllama says too - if they're smoking and the landlord's insurance is a non-smoking policy then he/she won't be covered in the event of fire.

AvengingGerbil Mon 05-Oct-09 19:37:27

Well, I called the letting agent. Turns out they have a no smoking contract. He said he would look into it.

Now I guess I'll have grumpy smoker neighbours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now