Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mysterious orange patches?

(16 Posts)
LaTrucha Sun 04-Oct-09 17:42:10

Has anyone else had mysterious orange patches appearing out of nowhere, particularly on bedlinen?

I have.

They come out of nowhere, are not apparently stains of soemthing spilt. They are completely resistant to any kind of stain removal, including bleach. I do know that my MIL, who lives in Spain, gets them too and is similarly nonplussed.

My idea is that they are something to do with the chemicla processes that the cloth goes through in the factory. My MIL doesn't think so.

Does anyone have any idea what they are, where they come from or how to get rid of them?

Pic of the biggest one on profile.

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Sun 04-Oct-09 19:44:20

Not sure what it is. Could be rust from washing machine but not sure? Was also going to say bee pollen appearing on the washing line but too big a patch for that.

LaTrucha Sun 04-Oct-09 20:10:45

Hmm. I don't think it's rust. It sort of looks like liquid has been spilt on the fabric, but it hasn't.

Thanks for trying!

CybilLiberty Sun 04-Oct-09 20:12:50

Shame the stain is not in the shape of The Virgin Mary, you could make a fortune.

FWIW dh gets smaller ones, I mean pin prick sized reddy orange dots on his work shirts. We ahve no idea wheere they come from but will NOt wash out.

Montifer Sun 04-Oct-09 20:15:06

There was a similar thread on here a while ago and the culprit turned out to be leaking batteries.

GentleOtter Sun 04-Oct-09 20:15:28

Could a berry eating bird have made the marks when your washing was out?

LaTrucha Sun 04-Oct-09 20:36:21

Cybiliberty - that's the ones. Most of them are smaller than the one I took the picture of. What do you think of my factory theory?

GentleOtter - Don't think so. And it would be strange if my Spanish MIL had the same berry eating bird grin

Montifer - ditto leaking batteries. It would be odd if both me and MIL had them on our bedlinen. Though they do loook most like it might be leaking batteries.... it's that sort of thing.

We need a representative of the textile manufacturers on here..... or I do.

CybilLiberty Sun 04-Oct-09 22:05:47

Maybe your theory has some value...it's only onhis work shirts that the stains appear, I wondered if he got spattered with something at work, I don't know, copier toner or something that reacted with the washing stuff. But your orange blob really looks like a spill of somekind...weird.

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 04-Oct-09 22:26:52

Bedlinen is often folded and stored in a linen cupboard for a while, have you checked out the cupboard? On one house the wooden slats of a shelf seemed to have leaked some sort of resin onto some sheets and I couldn't shift the stains.

LaTrucha Mon 05-Oct-09 12:24:20

That's a good idea. I'll have a look.

LaTrucha Mon 05-Oct-09 17:50:03

Nothing suspicious there.

I should have put up a picture of the smaller patches. i think the big one is a bit misleading.

SmallScrewCap Mon 05-Oct-09 17:56:00

Anything made of maple in your house? My aunt-in-law has a chair that gives a little syrup, or something like it.

We were alerted by DD smelling of maple syrup whenever we'd visited. Orange stains on DD's clothes less unusual!

LaTruchaaaaaaaaaargh Mon 05-Oct-09 21:37:23

grin - only mdf touching the sheets etc

madlentileater Mon 05-Oct-09 21:46:03

yup we have this problem, usually quite small spots, a rusty orange, won't wash out.
None of the suggestions here apply. Only seems to happen to white sheets, don't think I've ever seen it on shirts (and we got through 15 school shirts a week at our peak)

LaTruchaaaaaaaaaargh Tue 06-Oct-09 10:14:50

I'm glad you said that MLE - Someone has to know what causes it.

I could handle it on my duvet covers, but now I have one on my NEW bedspread and I'm really fed up.

madlentileater Sat 17-Oct-09 19:22:19

bumping to see if anyone had any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now