Talk

Advanced search

our council has juct given us three large wheelie bins so now what to do about bins in the kitchen

(10 Posts)
mckenzie Wed 30-Sep-09 21:51:29

Up until now, our council has taken compostable rubbish, ie uncooked veg and fruit plus teabags, egg shells etc in one bin and paper and glass in another and then black sacks for the rubbish.
We have a kitchen bin that is split in two where we put rubbish on the biggest side and paper/card on the other side, bottles were kept along the side of the sink until there were too many and they got taken outside and newspapers tended to put slipped behind the bin until they too overflowed and got taken outside. And the compostable stuff got kept in a little green box in the work surface and emptied every day.

But now, I think I need one bin for all the food stuff, raw and cooked
another bin for the paper, cardboard, tins, bottles and plastic food containers (do i need to rinse these?)
and another bin for pure rubbish that cant go in either of the other bins!

But I don't want to have three bins if I can help it as I dont have room. But if I keep my twin bin and make that big side for food and smaller side for cardboard, plastic etc, where do i put rubbish rubbish? A different bin? And as a fairly average family of 4 (in the nicest possible way), what will I have most of? ie what bin needs to be the biggest.

I appreciate that this is all fairly mundane but i just cant work out how to manage my rubbish grin Pants aren't I??

TIA

beatiebow Thu 01-Oct-09 10:49:11

I agree with you-this bin situation is getting out of control!

I have a largeish bin in my (small) kitchen for general rubbish and beside it a bucket with lid for the compost bin (also a wee container on the bench for compost stuff till I put it in the bucket). Then in the 'playroom' next to the back door I have a small bin for paper/cans etc which I empty quite regularly. Glass bottles sit on the bench then go in the cupboard under the stairs till I go to the bottle bank.

madusa Thu 01-Oct-09 13:15:19

i just take my recycling out as and when - usually several times a day

dreamteamgirl Sat 03-Oct-09 00:52:17

I just have a regular bin for the bin IYSWIM
Anythign recycling goes in cupboard in a few big reusable carrier bag things and gets taken out when they are full

mckenzie Sat 03-Oct-09 21:35:45

thanks everyone for the replies.

So far, I've used my old twin bin for recycling (the large side) and food scraps (the small size) and I have a little box thingy for rubbish rubbish (so far, dirty tissues and a broken pen lid only. I'm quite impressed.)
I'm actually finding it much easier than the old way. DH keep sofrgetting so it's a case of putting the rubber gloves on and re-sorting but he'll get used to it soon, won't he??

mckenzie Sat 03-Oct-09 21:36:12

'keeps forgetting' even

norksinmywaistband Sat 03-Oct-09 21:39:03

I have a caddy for the food rubbish (sits on the work surface, emptied every day) Carrier bag on a hook , for all recycling. Nothing for rubbish rubbish, if we create any it has to be taken straight outside. makes you think about what you throw into landfill

mckenzie Sun 04-Oct-09 09:36:26

thanks norks. Am I right in thinking used tissues are 'rubbish'?
And we used some coffee pods this morning and I'm thinking they probably can't be recycled can they? It doesn't say anything on the box that they came in.

norksinmywaistband Sun 04-Oct-09 22:32:57

coffee pods, I would say no.
tissues depends in this house if we are ill, full blown nose blowing then obviously rubbish , just a sneeze in the recycling.
I have however made a return to cloth hankies

Starbear Mon 05-Oct-09 09:00:55

Just to say what I do, DH not interested and can't get it right! Can't blame him as you have have in-house training and updates every few months. Okay we have
A large bin for Rubbish Rubbish
Small plastic box for food uncooked&cooked
A lakeland bag for various clean recycle stuff
Newspapers in a basket in the front room.
Garden rubbish we share with next door.
Lakeland bag gets emptied everyday that I'm not at work.
papers once a week.
Food almost everyday
Rubbish Rubbish when its full.
Wish I could hide the clean recycle!
Actually I will I'm going to put car wash bucket in the shed & put it there. Thank you for making me think of a solution grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now