Talk

Advanced search

Ds2's Very Small Bedroom

(34 Posts)
mummypumpkin Tue 29-Sep-09 13:43:36

I am all out of ideas so thought I had best consult the experts on mn!
Ds2 has the small bedroom. It is very small. At the moment he has a shorty bed, a small bookcase, a small-ish chest of drawers and a toy chest. He has 2 shelves running the full length of the room and also boxes under his bed. But, there is just not enough clothes storage. He really needs a wardrobe but I'm worried he will end up with no room at all in there. And he's obviously going to grow and need another bed at some point...
So, basically what i'm wondering is - are there any mners that have done fantastical things with really small bedrooms? Would you show me? I'd be very grateful indeed!! smile

BonsoirAnna Tue 29-Sep-09 13:46:10

Why don't you buy him one large wardrobe instead of the toy chest and chest of drawers. Get rid of his bookcase and install book shelves right up one wall (you can put the ones he doesn't currently read at the top and the ones he is reading where he can reach them at the bottom).

What are the dimensions of the room?

Or can you put a bed on top of a piece of furniture - a bunk over a wardrobe? Would depend on your ceiling height.

Geocentric Tue 29-Sep-09 13:46:33

Can you move the toys to another space, outside his room? DS and DD shared for ages a small room which only had space for their beds and a chest of drawers each. I got round this by turning a corner of the living room (which was thankfully large) into a play area.

DS has dust mite allergies, so this also worked out better as the room was easier to clean.

mummypumpkin Tue 29-Sep-09 13:57:02

1.85m x 2.5m, door at one end (on a short wall), window opposite end. Low ceilinged. He's only 4 at the moment but have already been thinking about high beds. He would literally have room for nothing else except the bed and whatever we could fit underneath. It would also almost completely block the window so I'm not keen!

I can't really buy him a large or even large-ish wardrobe as once he needs a longer bed they would be so close together you wouldn't be able to get into the wardrobe. Or possibly the bed either!

mummypumpkin Tue 29-Sep-09 13:58:49

I've moved all of his toys out apart from the one small chest but once I've got rid of that it still won't help my problem of what to do with the rest of it really!

BonsoirAnna Tue 29-Sep-09 14:01:52

OK, I've drawn a little scale diagram (!) and I see what you mean - once you have put a full-size 90 cm x 190 cm bed in there, there is no room left at all...

How about you buy a full-size bed with proper drawers underneath (not boxes), and put shelving right up the long wall facing the bed?

BonsoirAnna Tue 29-Sep-09 14:04:17

Would this bed block the window too much?

Geocentric Tue 29-Sep-09 14:05:13

Anna's idea seems good... If not, is there room in the hallway for a wardrobe? Then you can keep the room down to bare basics; bed, books, etc.

GooseyLoosey Tue 29-Sep-09 14:06:31

A bed with drawers underneath - you can put all of his toys in - they fit loads and loads in. This would not really be much higher than a normal bed so low ceilings would not matter.

Would get rid of the chest of drawers and get a wardrobe with drawers in the bottom and a row of shelves up the side. He won't need that much hanging space.

How much does he read or how much are you into books? If a lot, then I think that you still need a book case, but these can be cheaply built to fit into any nooks and crannies left after you have put the rest of the stuff in.

Wouldn't necessarily pay this kind of money, but this is what I am thinking of here. If you get the Ikea Pax Wardrobe system, you can pretty much put as many drawers and shelves as you want in. As you can see, I like white furniture for small spaces.

Geocentric Tue 29-Sep-09 14:06:52

Oooh, thats a nice bed... envy DS would love that!

mummypumpkin Tue 29-Sep-09 14:07:52

Loving that you've drawn a little diagram! grin

That could work... was still hoping to get a wardrobe in somehow though!! I think it's because I've spent so many years scrabbling around through too full drawers and pulling boxes out from under that bed!!

Geocentric Tue 29-Sep-09 14:08:59

<my comment meant for Anna's über cool link - no offense meant, Gooey!>

Geocentric Tue 29-Sep-09 14:09:16

Goosey - can't type today!!

BonsoirAnna Tue 29-Sep-09 14:10:27

I wouldn't even try to get a wardrobe in, personally. You do need to be able to move in a bedroom!

Could your DS have a wardrobe or some hanging space elsewhere? We don't have wardrobes/hanging space in our bedrooms in our apartment - all the hanging space is in built-in wardrobes and dressing rooms that lead off the hall. And it doesn't bother any of us!

GooseyLoosey Tue 29-Sep-09 14:11:45

I think I might quite like to be Gooey!

Geocentric Tue 29-Sep-09 14:12:21

grin

mummypumpkin Tue 29-Sep-09 14:17:59

There is absolutely nowhere else to hang clothes. Can't put anything in the hallway, again tiny, my room is tiny and the small inbuilt wardrobe can barely fit my stuff in and there's no room in ds1's room either!

Nice beds though!!! I think maybe something like Anna's but with less solid ends, then it would block the window less. Wouldn't be able to use the desk on that one though duie to the room size... not that i'd ever be able to afford it anyway!

BonsoirAnna Tue 29-Sep-09 14:24:46

Can you go to Ikea and have a look?

geordieminx Tue 29-Sep-09 14:25:44

What about a rail as opposed to a wardrobe?

Seeline Tue 29-Sep-09 14:28:48

My DS is in a similar room and has a high level bed. We have made do with a tall chest of drawers for his clothes and his toys are in boxes stacked under the bed. Bookshelf along the opposite wall, also used for toy storage. I have discovered that very little of a boys clothes have to be hung - I've sneaked a couple of shirts into DDs wardrobe so I don't have to iron them every time he wants to wear one. Everything else is just folded into the drawers. He went into the high level bed at about 4.

choosyfloosy Tue 29-Sep-09 14:34:00

I am currently visiting the Argos midsleepers. Less windowblockingness but they do not look as sturdy and nice. In my case the issue is that at some point ds is going to need to hang his feet over the end of his bed (dh is 6'4"). I think that one would look better with less piminy little knobs on the drawers, but that would be easy to replace.

Consider open shelves for the clothes you are currently using frequently? We have put open metal shelves in our kitchen for the saucepans etc, and it really makes for a much lighter look.

Maybe also a pegboard/trellis or similar for some things that will hang? Multiple hooks on the back of the door? I keep all ds's sports clothes (swimming costumes etc) on door hooks and it does make them easy to grab.

Lio Tue 29-Sep-09 14:36:10

Just signing on so I can find this later. We also have small bedroom syndrome!

seeker Tue 29-Sep-09 14:40:04

My ds has the smallest bedroom in the world. We have solved the problem temporarily (until he's a teenager) by getting a local builder to make a sort of mezzanine level in a L shape.

He sleeps on the short bit of the L. Underneath it he's got a desk (he has to duck to get t it but he's all right once he's sitting at the chair!), a long low chest drawers and some hooks on the wall for things that really need to be hung.

The advantage of the built in L is that it's fixed to the wall so no floor space is wasted by supports for it.

If you like I'll take some pictures next time it's tidy!

seeker Tue 29-Sep-09 14:40:33

Sorry hadn't finished. And the long bit of the L is more playing space.

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Tue 29-Sep-09 14:44:08

Would any of these be any good?

You could put drawers underneath this one
mid sleeper

Would this be to high for the room?
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6675020/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|14417894/c_ 2/2|cat_14417894|Beds|14418191/c_3/3|cat_14418191|Children%27s+beds|15350118.htm

Or something like this with storage boxes on for clothes.
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6659149/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|14417894/c_ 2/2|cat_14417894|Beds|14418191/c_3/3|cat_14418191|Children%27s+beds|15350118.htm

This has drawers
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6659462/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|14417894/c_ 2/2|cat_14417894|Beds|14418191/c_3/3|cat_14418191|Children%27s+beds|15350118.htm

This has a wardrobe in it
mid sleeper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now