Talk

Advanced search

Smelly ironing

(6 Posts)
hootyfish Mon 28-Sep-09 15:44:39

My first post on MN, very random sorry.
Since becoming a SAHM I've started ironing my DHs shirts, he used to do them himself. When I iron the armpit areas there is a distinct BO aroma! Is my washing not up to the mark or does he need some new shirts? They look and smell clean when they come out of the machine. And they don't smell after ironing, just during! Has anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

nbee84 Mon 28-Sep-09 18:11:28

No ideas, but used to have the same problem when I used to do my Grandad's washing. He wasn't very fragrant!

ceres Tue 29-Sep-09 13:58:17

is it just the armpit area? i ask because i had problems with smelly washing - eg i wash my towels at 60 and dry them thoroughly but after a few days in the cupboard they were really whiffy, kind of a sour smell.

i started using white vinegar in the fabric conditioner compartment and have had no problems since, clothes and towels don't smell of either washing powder or vinegar, they just smell clean and fresh.

Miggsie Tue 29-Sep-09 13:59:37

Bicarbonate of soda in the wash...does the trick for me

hootyfish Tue 29-Sep-09 16:37:46

Thanks will try the bicarb and vinegar (although not together obv!) It only seems to be the smelly armpits. DH does have a rather demanding job so I'm guessing that's why, he does wash....!

clumsymum Tue 29-Sep-09 16:42:50

Ace bleach.

In my experience, altho it doesn't get stains out at all, it does seem to work on sweaty pong (my dh used to have this prob too, when I first took him on).

The only way to cure the problem tho is to get him into the anti-perspirant habit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now