Talk

Advanced search

Carpet needs to be cleaned. Any ideas?

(13 Posts)
TinyPawz Sun 27-Sep-09 22:49:47

Trying to get new place sorted in time for xmas. The stair and landing carpet is filthy. Any ideas on how to go about cleaning it?

LyraSilvertongue Sun 27-Sep-09 22:52:24

I bought a Dirt Devils carpet washer on Ebay for about £50 (new). Cheaper than getting a carpet cleaning company in to do it and of course you can use it again and again.

discTOdisc Sun 27-Sep-09 23:03:22

Is it any good Lyra?

I have the same problem as OP. I have inherinted a cheap stained stair and landing carpet from previous owner. I have no funds to replace it atm esp. as stairs are mega bucks!!

I hired an expensive carpet cleaner a while ago but it was awful and made it worse sad

LyraSilvertongue Sun 27-Sep-09 23:10:31

Yes, not bad and fairly easy to use. It's not so great on really ingrained stains but I feel my carpets are nice and clean and fresh-smelling after using it.

TinyPawz Mon 28-Sep-09 01:11:05

I'll look out for a cheapy Dirt Devil then.

Failing that, I think i'll be on my hands and knees with a scrubbing brush!!!

LovelyDear Mon 28-Sep-09 01:13:46

i was amazed how much difference the diy scrubbing brush approach made. incredible.

TinyPawz Mon 28-Sep-09 01:30:58

what soap/cleaner did you use? (totally inept at this kinda thing)

LovelyDear Mon 28-Sep-09 02:04:24

you can buy carpet shampoo, for non-machine use, eg 1001. machines are good too, but diy is worth a shot to see how far you get.

LyraSilvertongue Mon 28-Sep-09 07:46:48

This is the one I've got

Tiredmumno1 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:47:16

the vax carpet washers are pretty good as well, i think a few different shops have some on sale at the mo if you have a look around. we have a cream carpets and kids, it got it a whole lot cleaner than scrubbing on your hands and knees. and if anyone spills a drink grab the vax and suck it up.

Tiredmumno1 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:55:39

and just to let you know argos are doing the vax rapide carpet washer for £54.99 was £149.99 at the mo

vinblanc Mon 28-Sep-09 22:02:15

I have a Hoover Steamvac. It is very handy, and requires very little setting up. It was a godsend when we had a puppy.

Stairs are quite difficult though, but not impossible.

The alternative is to get a company in, but you can buy your own machine for little more than the cost of one room.

TinyPawz Mon 28-Sep-09 22:29:04

at the minute only have carpet on stairs & landing. And the carpet is cream. (HTF puts cream carpet on stairs!!!!)

gonna try diy and if that doesn't work. get some in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now