Talk

Advanced search

Compost caddy need liner

(14 Posts)
mumski Fri 25-Sep-09 18:37:11

I've got one of these compost caddys www.lakeland.co.uk/compost-crock/F/keyword/recycling/product/20428
but it's turning out to be a pain as unless it's emptied out every few days it makes the most disgusting 'soup' in the bottom and is horrid to empty. shock
I've looked at Lakeland plastics for biodegradable liners but they are £2.89 for only 10 +postage. There must be cheaper ones in bigger quantities some where. Does anyone have any suggestions?

mwff Fri 25-Sep-09 18:39:01

sainsbos do em 90-odd-p for 10 and our council does them for free.

ComeOveneer Fri 25-Sep-09 18:41:59

ASDA • Landsaver Biodegradable Caddy Liners
• Bio Bag
Robert Dyas • Landsaver Biodegradable Caddy Liners
Sainsbury’s • Home Compostable
Waitrose • Avantiblue Eco Care
Wilkinson • Alfapac (potato starch bags)

mumski Fri 25-Sep-09 18:56:47

That's brillent help many thanks to mwff and comeoveneer.
Will track some down tomorrow smile

MaureenMLove Fri 25-Sep-09 18:57:45

I just bought some in Morrisons today!

choccyp1g Fri 25-Sep-09 19:02:08

But do they work? I've just started using the Sainsburies liners in a new black bin, and am concerned that it will take longer to compost. So concerned in fact that I am photographing it at regular intervals, and if after 1 year (6 months filling it up, then leave for 6 months) there are still bits of @plastic@ in the compost, I am already planning my letter (with enclosures) to the manufacturers.

BTW I think it wise to not tie the bags closed when they go into the compost heap.

choccyp1g Fri 25-Sep-09 19:03:32

I used to make newspaper liners, and throw the whole lot in the black bin; that worked pretty well, but I still had to wash the caddy every 2 or 3 emptyings.

hairygodmother Fri 25-Sep-09 20:12:45

Yes, another vote for Morrisons here for the bags. We got our caddy free from the council, it's plastic but with holes in it so can't use it without the bag anyway. But choccy I think you're right - they seem to take q a while to break down. We've been using the caddy for a couple of months though, and I'd say that the bags we put in first have almost broken down already (but I don't look that closely ... grin). How long have you been photographing yours for?

choccyp1g Fri 25-Sep-09 21:40:46

I only started with the bags on the 5th of September, so I've got to give it a fair try. But I HATE finding anything "non-organic" in the soil. I took over my allotment 5 years ago, and am still picking out bits of plastic, sticky labels from fruit etc. from the previous allotmenter's cavalier approach to composting.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 27-Sep-09 15:25:35

We use the Avantiblue ones from Waitrose. We don't tie them before we chuck the lot in the food composter and have had no problems with them breaking down. Have been using them for as long as we've had the composter, so 2.5 years. I think they are £2.99 for 20 bags.

I put the caddy through the dishwasher every 3 emptyings. Kills any bugs and is more water efficient than lots of rinsing in the sink.

CaddyBags Wed 12-Oct-11 04:54:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

auldspinster Wed 12-Oct-11 12:38:10

I used to use the pages of an old Guardian guide mini mag to make a 'lasagne' of composting bits which stopped it souping up so much.

nannyl Wed 12-Oct-11 15:29:42

i buy all my fruit veg from the market it brown bags

i use the brown bags to line my caddy..... free and compost quickly too

GrimmaTheNome Wed 12-Oct-11 15:35:09

I find that a pre-used paper towel or a brown paper bag in the bottom deals with the worst of it, then just rinse quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now