Talk

Advanced search

Anyone converted their vented tumble dryer to a condenser using add-on box?

(10 Posts)
ihearthuckabees Wed 23-Sep-09 15:23:50

Think the title explains it all. You can buy them from Betterware or Kleeneze catalogues and they attach to the hose of your tumbler to collect the moisture if you don't have a vent to put the hose out of.

Are they any good?

Eyeballls Wed 23-Sep-09 15:27:34

No, they're crap You have to put ice blocks in the box which means that you have to plan to do drying the day before you do it in order to freeze the blocks. Then they melt in about 30 seconds leaving you back where you started. Hence I threw mine into a hedge and I now wheel my tumble dryer over to the window and stick the hose out.

<<jealous of people with utility rooms>>

sylar Wed 23-Sep-09 20:57:26

They are rubbish. We have one and our laudry rool frequently has water running down the cupboards.

sylar Wed 23-Sep-09 20:57:51

laundry room blush

MatNanPlus Wed 23-Sep-09 21:00:55

As with the others, they are useless, in the end my Dad bought a huge amount of that stretchy tubing and sealed the joins and ran it to the door where he fitted a vent dodad to clip the hose to so it vented outside, the number of times we stood on / tripped on it was amazing.

Rumpel Wed 23-Sep-09 21:01:17

We had our old tumble dryer in a shed in the garden - bought a converter and it was pants! We are the proud owners of a utility room now though (condenser dryer now - not nearly as good as the old one which was about 20th hand). I love the utility room not for the tumble dryer but for the fact that it stops me from standing on gall bladders and intestines in the morning (courtesy of my 3 cats)!

ihearthuckabees Thu 24-Sep-09 15:25:42

Rumpel - we had cats that did that too. Charming isn't it? Anyway, really glad I asked about the box thing, as it seems it's unanimous that it's rubbish. So now I have to decide whether to replace old dryer with expensive new condenser (we have shrunk our utility room to make way for a toilet, so have lost our vented wall), or to try going without dryer, which would be green, cheaper etc, but will make those endlesss rainy winter weeks even harder to bear. Dilemmas, dilemmas.

Thanks for all your feedback xx

lynniep Thu 24-Sep-09 15:31:08

Absolutely sh*t. I bought one from B&Q and had to return it. We ended up putting the tumble dryer in the garage and it just vents into there.

JackBauer Thu 24-Sep-09 15:41:14

Well ours worked ok, I used cold water and ran it in the ktichen and we didn't get too steamy.
Although I did trip over it a few times and the water was foul and nasty.....

Rumpel Thu 24-Sep-09 19:42:02

Have a look at the comet clearance site for a cheap dryer - scratch and dent type thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now