Talk

Advanced search

I am sorting out my wardrobe and any tips would be great to cut down the amount of time it takes me to choose what to wear in the morning.

(10 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 22-Sep-09 10:17:31

Do you hang your clothes

by colour
by type
by outfit
by season

I have sorted out some stuff that don't fit me anymore and I feel lighter in a way

SamMitchell Tue 22-Sep-09 10:21:35

By garment. I only hang dresses and trousers/jeans and jackets.

I have one of those Elfa storage things inside my wardrobe and bung everything else in drawers. It helps that most of my cardis / tops / tights / leggings are just black/grey/brown basics so I dont think much about them. I just choose a dress or trousers and work around that. Then I bung on some jwewellery/belt/scarf of some sort.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 22-Sep-09 10:23:59

What is the Elfa storage thing?

SamMitchell Tue 22-Sep-09 11:30:46

this sort of thing. Cheaper versions at Ikea.

Onlyaphase Tue 22-Sep-09 11:36:09

Best tip is to decide what to wear the night before - the theory is that you spend all day making decisions and are really good at making quick and firm decisions by the end of the day. So you will save time by choosing clothes at the end of the day.

First thing in the morning isn't the best time to make decisions as we are all dithery then, and are best off following a routine rather than having to actively think about stuff like clothes.

MrsSaxon Tue 22-Sep-09 11:53:56

I just did this, I took everything out of my wardrobe, tried everything on then only put back what I really wear.

I also lay out my clothes the night before.

queenofdenial2009 Tue 22-Sep-09 12:14:42

I'm even sadder and on a Sunday evening, I line up a week's worth of work outfits on the bannister. I have a vague idea of what I'm doing during the week, e.g. in office, meetings, visits so dress accordingly.

I do not function well in the morning and this means I have less to do.

Generally, I have winter and summer clothes hanging in vaguely smart/casual sections. Then pushed at the back I have fancy clothes in case I ever go on a night out again.

I regularly get rid of clothes and give to charity shops or recycle. You can now gift aid your donations, so it's really worth doing. Then I feel justified in buying some more - I'm a keen eBayer and charity shop person. Then if it doesn't work out, I've only spent a fiver.

I have IKEA wire drawers in my wardrobe - underwear, jeans, running gear, jim jams. Just about everything else is on a clothes hanger.

Don't keep clothes that don't fit you, it'll only depress you everytime you see them and by passing them on, someone else can benefit.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 22-Sep-09 12:20:03

I have left out half a dozen things that don't fit me since I had my last baby and it does make me feel a bit less stressed. Just what to do with it now.

DH always says to pick the night before but I need to see what the weather is going to do and the mood I am in.

I have now decided that is daft reasoning as the weather is pretty much the same at the moment and when I did pick my clothes the night before it saved me time and made me less fed up in the morning.

I do the same every day - I am a sahm - so it isn't like I really need to think what to wear hmm.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 22-Sep-09 12:22:00

Thank you SM. Looks nice but a bit ££££ for me atm.

LilianGish Tue 22-Sep-09 12:26:19

I would hang up complete outfits together - even with accessories - quite therapeutic to do this while you are in the mood rather than first thing in in the morning when you just want to grab something to wear. Also chuck out stuff you don't like/don't wear/no longer fits then you can actually see what you have got. Saves loads of time and stops the stuff you do wear/like getting squashed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now