Talk

Advanced search

Am de-cluttering - how many pairs of knickers should one person own? And recycling bras...

(9 Posts)
MrsFawlty Mon 21-Sep-09 19:07:03

Because I seem to have a ludicrous amount. Saggy old maternity pants, plain M&S cotton briefs, ridiculous flimsy things I don't wear...

I need to be ruthless. What should I keep?

Also I read recently that old bras are really good to recycle, but I can't remember where I read it, or how I would go about it.

Advice very welcome!

SofaQueen Mon 21-Sep-09 19:16:19

I keep 16 pairs (I'm a minimalist, though).

-4 pairs white (2 plain, 2 with decoration)
-4 pairs black (same as white)
-4 pairs nude (same as white)
-4 pairs rude

IdrisTheDragon Mon 21-Sep-09 19:17:34

I will count mine some time. But have more than 16 I think, although fewer than 4 rude pairs grin

Montifer Mon 21-Sep-09 19:18:08

Oxfam recycle bras.
Apparently their resale value in developing nations is high.

LatinDAISYcal Mon 21-Sep-09 19:22:56

Sainsbury's were doing a bra recycling campaign recently in aid of cancer research I'm sure. They had a collecting point in store and I'm sure it was still there when I was in last week.

As for how many? I like Sofa Queen's rule of thumb!

MrsFawlty Mon 21-Sep-09 19:24:40

Ah Montifer, that sounds familiar. Will send mine their way. (Had myself measured properly recently and was amazed how far off the mark I was!)

Wow, 16 pairs sounds like a lot, maybe I'm not that bad. I thought you were going to say about 7 pairs (we do end up washing daily so odds are some should always be clean.)

Maybe I'll just fling the ones that have gone a bit past it.

Seems such a waste to chuck out the material but I can't think of anything else practical to do with old knickers in teh spirit of make do and mend. Unless they would make good dusters? grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 22-Sep-09 17:21:46

I am guessing but I probably have about 50 pairs or more. grin

norksinmywaistband Tue 22-Sep-09 17:32:10

I have about 7 pairs of cheap every day pants (primark ) and relpace the whole lot every couple of months.
Then I have 3 pairs of fancy knickers that match fancy bras - never going to need 3 sets but I like them grin

RubysReturn Tue 22-Sep-09 17:32:23

Bin anything that is not in good condition and flattering/comfy. Keep any saucy ones that get you laid.

Buy a few good bras and pants in nude.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now