Talk

Advanced search

Breadmakers - are they worth it and which is best??

(24 Posts)
hellenback Sun 20-Sep-09 20:00:33

Is good housekeeping guide really the best on this cos Kenwood machine over £100 - will it just gather dust or do you use???

purplepansy Sun 20-Sep-09 20:13:27

I have a panasonic one - use it all the time. Rarely buy bread now.

brimfull Sun 20-Sep-09 20:14:43

mine is gathering dust

was good when we got it

now I can't be arsed

kittywise Sun 20-Sep-09 20:15:37

ditto the panasonic, it's brilliant, use it all the time. There's nothing quite like hot bread for breakfast, yumsmile

Romanarama Sun 20-Sep-09 20:17:27

Also me panasonic. Really good.

gigglewitch Sun 20-Sep-09 20:18:04

use mine a lot, esp for fruity loaves for breakfast and garlic herb breads which we use with pasta dishes. It's a morphy richards 2lb loaf size (can do 1lb / 1.5lb, press "size" button accordingly, but there are 5 of us so never do small anything) It has a whole bunch of settings on it - a bit hmm because as a rule we only use 2 or 3...

Pingpong Sun 20-Sep-09 20:19:34

Good Housekeeping guide used to recommend the panasonic one which I have but it's quite a few years old now.
I used to use it quite a bit when I lived in a remote area miles from shops but now I live 5 mins from a 24 hour tesco extra and have got lazy.
I do like it though particularly for foccacia and naan bread and pizza dough.

hellenback Mon 21-Sep-09 08:52:34

thanks - err which model panasonic then? also where's best for yeast....

Grisette Mon 21-Sep-09 09:41:19

You need to have it out on your work top oher wise you never use it. We use ours everyday for loaf bread and also make dough for pizzas and ciabatta sytle bread in it. Its a lot cheaper and nicer than shop bought bread and if you buy flour without improvers better for you too.

kittywise Mon 21-Sep-09 09:57:26

mine's the sd-255. Get dried yeast from the supermarket.

SoupDragon Mon 21-Sep-09 09:58:51

Panasonic with the seed dispenser. I've not bought any bread since getting it for Christmas.

SoupDragon Mon 21-Sep-09 09:59:18

Pizza bases and pitta bread is great from it too.

MitchyInge Mon 21-Sep-09 10:00:13

we use ours allll the time but I am gutted that it doesn't make jam

argh sometimes I hate the way MN breeds dissatisfaction within me! I didn't even know I wanted to make jam in my breadmaker, now it is preying on my mind

mine is the panasonic one with a bit for putting bits in, got it from Lakeland

bacon Mon 21-Sep-09 10:08:31

The panasonic comes out tops in the which? guide too. Havent got around to getting mine yet.

mumof2222222222222222boys Mon 21-Sep-09 10:22:26

Panasonic too! Got the £80 one which is fine, but think I would go for the more expensive one if I was buying a new one.

Strangely I can't get bread machine yeast from Tesco - have to do special trip to Waitrose, but that may be a local quirk.

frostyfingers Mon 21-Sep-09 16:05:09

We've got a Panasonic, and I haven't bought a loaf of bread in almost 2 years. It's fab - use it for rolls, pizza, croissants, garlic bread as well as ordinary bread.

Mum of 2 boys - I can get it in my Tesco and it's not a big one. It's in a bright green box and called Fast Action Yeast and stocked with the other baking stuff - if they really don't have it ask at the Customer Services.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Mon 21-Sep-09 16:07:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pingpong Mon 21-Sep-09 20:23:22

I've got a Panasonic SD206 but I've googled and you can get spare parts but it's no longer available - knew it was quite old!
I quite like the Hovis yeast - I get it in our Tesco but it is a big one.
I don't fancy jam made in the breadmaker TBH sounds a bit weird to me!

ThingOne Tue 22-Sep-09 09:21:12

I've got a panasonic with the seed dispenser. I've had it for about six years I think. SD253.

It takes about five minutes to put the ingredients on to bake! Fab.

Buy powdered vitamin C for wholemeal loaves. You can get it from lakeland if your local supermarkets don't have it.

Bramshott Tue 22-Sep-09 09:28:32

Yes

Panasonic

ReneRusso Tue 22-Sep-09 09:45:01

I have a Panasonic, quite an old model, but still use it regularly.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Tue 22-Sep-09 09:53:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

imaginestrictlytwirlynamehere Tue 22-Sep-09 10:34:09

Panasonic sd255,I literally haven't bought bread since I got it.

I buy doves farm yeast - bright orange packet. keeps fine if you make bread regularly - but a warning I learnt through experience (rather than simply reading the packet blush) that it needs to be kept in the fridge once open.

Pittas are also ridiculously easy to make

imaginestrictlytwirlynamehere Tue 22-Sep-09 10:37:38

btw I have never used vit C powder or milk powder - infact I make bread because I like it to be dairy free) My bread has never been anything but perfect - except for the hastily forgotten loaf where I forgot to put the mixing blade in!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now