Talk

Advanced search

I'm drowning

(11 Posts)
LottieDugalo Sun 20-Sep-09 19:46:25

I just seem completely unable to keep on top of the house work, I have palpitations if someone pops in unexpectedly blush I think we just have too much stuff, even when I spend hours tidying somewhere it descends back into chaos seemingly within hours

I need tips on how people keep on top of things (my dd is severely disabled so things I can do whilst lugging around a flailing floppy 3 yr old just to complicate matters) and how to keep the childrens rooms tidy if anyone would be so kind. I feel eternally embarrassed by the state of the house

pinknosedevereux Sun 20-Sep-09 20:23:43

This sounds just like me so I will be reading responses with great interest. How do people keep their houses tidy all the time?

JustKeepSwimming Sun 20-Sep-09 20:26:13

Come and join us on the Slatterns/List Makers thread - we all have fun and keep each other going through the daily grind of housework!

Will be back with a link in a mo...

JustKeepSwimming Sun 20-Sep-09 20:27:03

here you go

GentleOtter Sun 20-Sep-09 20:28:14

Do you ever find that it is not for the want of trying...<despairs>
We rarely get visitors but there is a total panic if we do and a mental rummage of 'which is the nicest room they can go in to' sort of argument.
For example, I've just finished a huge ironing and our toddler is playing football with it.

missworried Sun 20-Sep-09 21:34:07

Lotttie, please be kind to yourself. Sounds like you're doing a great job looking after your kids and having a severely disabled daughter is extremely hard work I bet.

Definitely use short cuts and get rid of clutter to make life easy.

Don't worry at all about what others think. I bet they actually think you're a bit of a super star.wink

BedofRosesItAintII Sun 20-Sep-09 21:37:52

This is what I did.

I ruthlessly decluttered every room, admittedly this takes time, but once it is done keeping the house tidy is just a question of hoovering, dusting and putting things back in their rooms.

When you have too much stuff it is more time consuming to tidy up/keep the house presentable, I think.

missworried Sun 20-Sep-09 21:51:36

Also, if you feel like you're drowning . Lie down if at all you can for a few minutes. With your daughter? Then have a nice cup of tea and then think of a couple small things you can do to improve things for you at home.
Just whatever you can to get your perspective back.
Also try and do some form of exercise, pushing the buggy? dancing in the living room?Endorphins... This really helps you to feel like you can keep coping.
And be brutal about decluttering.
smile

DubyahDawtHoochieMomma Sun 20-Sep-09 21:59:55

Message withdrawn

mathanxiety Mon 21-Sep-09 02:11:38

How about just concentrating on the room visitors are most likely to end up in and clearing it up every day. After that, just keep a little bottle of perfume handy for when the doorbell rings, and put on your brightest smile and welcome them in. Visitors love a smile and the feeling they're welcome.

The fifteen minutes a room thing really works, if you can find them anywhere.

LottieDugalo Mon 21-Sep-09 10:22:02

Thank you for the replies, it just feels very overwhelming atm. I have decided to try and concentrate on the living room and hall as these are the rooms dds professionals come in to. I've done 15 minutes this morning on clearing our dresser so I have somewhere to put letters and bills in a reasonably organised fashion grin

Thanks, I've looked at Fly Lady and I "swished" the bathroom this morning, seems like a good idea, at least it should stay presentable then.

Thank you for the advice, clutter clearing seems the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now