Talk

Advanced search

Decluttering children's clothes - NCT NNS, charity, ebay?

(12 Posts)
fruitstick Sun 20-Sep-09 12:33:50

Am appalled at the amount of clothes DS2 has - although a lot of them were DS1'a blush.

I can only sell 25 items or sets at the NCT nearly new sale and wondered what sold best. Indiviual outfits or bundles of vests,babygrows etc?

I'm thinking that clothes are so cheap these days that people would rather buy new vests from the supermarket so these should go to the charity shop.

Or should I put the most expensive things on ebay?

I'm also thinking that those things that were DS1's (although still looking in very good condition) should go straight in the clothes recycling as I have had 2 children's wear out of them and anything else would be greedy.

All advice greatly received.

ramonaquimby Sun 20-Sep-09 13:00:21

personally I give all clothes to friends or charity shops.

do you need the money?
can you be bothered?

if you have time on your hands and need the money why not sell them on?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 13:05:11

I have tried to sell but just got fed up with it all so took them all down to the clothes and shoe recycling bank yesterday.

fruitstick Sun 20-Sep-09 13:06:37

A combination of the two. I could really do with the money but not so much that I can be bothered to post out vests!

I'm selling a lot of our baby equipment too so may as well include some clothes while I'm at it.

2to3 Sun 20-Sep-09 13:09:10

I recycle nearly everything we have. I use eBay if it's valuable/desirable because of the branding or style - some people pay silly money for branded stuff. A good way to rid of bundles is to put a few very nice/expensive items in with less fashionable but still nice stuff. Photograph them as outfits, and have lots of good pics. But the frustrating thing is they might still sell for peanuts. so do your research first by looking at 'completed items'.

I'm surprised the NCT will only let you sell 25 things - I'm taking two massive bags to mine next w/e. Nice looking clothes in good condition on hangers sell best IME. Especially pretty girls clothes and seasonal/branded stuff. Sell as sets if the things match, i.e. cute tights with matching skirt and cardie. Vests and babygros are a waste of time unless they are outlandishly gorgeous, at least if you can't sell unlimited items, as there are so many of them.

Whatever doesn't sell and is unstained/unbobbled/VGC goes to friends and charity.

malfoy Sun 20-Sep-09 13:09:52

I was really touched when I bought a moses basket on ebay and the seller had included some vests and babygros. It seemed such a lovely gesture.

fruitstick Sun 20-Sep-09 13:11:55

I think it's just clothes they want to limit but I think you are allowed to bundle things together as 1 item.

Meglet Sun 20-Sep-09 13:17:07

I've settled on the following for de-cluttering:
Pretty / cool clothes & large items for NCT.
Basics for car boot.
Fancy / brand names for E-bay.

Anything that doesn't sell for Freecycle / charity shop / friende.

2to3 Sun 20-Sep-09 13:20:26

ps - I don't think making money out if it is greedy - after all, you are recycling perfectly good stuff and helping someone get nice cheap stuff withoutt having to buy new. If you don't need/want the money you can always give it to the NCT or another charity. I usually sell stuff when the seasons change, and put the cash I make towards DCs new wardrobe.

ninedragons Sun 20-Sep-09 13:21:52

Please also consider women's refuges that could use baby clothes for families who've had to flee with nothing.

fruitstick Sun 20-Sep-09 13:52:24

ninedragons, that's a really good idea. How do I find out if there is one in need nearby?

ninedragons Sun 20-Sep-09 14:40:23

My Freecycle group often has postings for children's things with a note saying that preference will be given to refuges - I assume they contact you. Maybe try the Women's Aid number (sorry, don't know it - am not in the UK).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now