Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Downsizing to a maisonnette - please give me ideas for storage!!

(7 Posts)
ilovetrees Thu 17-Sep-09 20:54:23

My two dcs and I are soon to be moving to a 3-bed maisonnette with next to no storage.

OK, there are 3 bedrooms - two are very big and one large single, there is a kitchen diner with a small cupboard housing a huge electric boiler and not much more space. There is a large lounge with a floor to ceiling storage cupboard to one side of the fire place. There are two smallish bathrooms and open stairs (so not cupboard under the stairs - although there is a space). There is a small loft and some eaves storage space.

Can any of you please share with me your storage tips, especially the following:

1. Where do I put the ironing board, laundry basket, hoover etc?

2. What about paperwork/filing?

3. My laptop and printer.

4. Toolbox, drill etc, paint brushes etc.

There are many more but can't think of them at the mo.

How do you squeeze it all in? Creative solutions greatly received!!

millenniumfalcon Thu 17-Sep-09 21:03:58

what we do (less space/more people than you):

1. mini ironing board from ikea slides down the side of chest of drawers, laundry basket on top of machine (where's yours? kitchen is awkward we do at least have boiler cupboard for ours) you need to fit a cupboard under the stairs, that's where our (smallest we could get) hoover is.

2. paperwork/filing - on open bookshelves in living room or in sideboard.

3. laptop down the side of my chair, no printer - use one @work.

4. toolbox in meter cupboard in living room

you're doing well with eves storage (ours is new but all our camping stuff that used to be behind the sofa is in it now, and handmedown clothes). you need to get yourself to ikea for cupboardy things e.g. i have a fantastic folding table in my spare room (spare room/kids share is best arrangement storage-wise if at all poss) that opens huge for art/craft stuff (mine!) but folds right up and has drawers too. bane of my life is shoes/coats.

millenniumfalcon Thu 17-Sep-09 21:06:34

will you have a hall?

millenniumfalcon Thu 17-Sep-09 21:08:36

storage baskets/drawers for under beds, sofa etc. essential imho, you have to use every spare bit of space inc. standing sofa away from wall a little to use space behind.

oh and also regularly ebay stuff you haven't used in last 12 months unless huuuges entimental value.

millenniumfalcon Thu 17-Sep-09 21:09:39

(apols speeling am not cod wink)

expatinscotland Thu 17-Sep-09 21:12:26

IKEA

ilovetrees Thu 17-Sep-09 21:19:19

MF thanks for all your tips - very helpful. Yes I do have a small hall so maybe I could put some storage boxes in. Washing machine in kitchen.

Ikea here I come!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now