Talk

Advanced search

How do you keep your shower screen clean and water-mark free?

(69 Posts)
whatsthetimemrwolf Thu 17-Sep-09 11:41:39

We've just had a new clear showerscreen fitted and I want to start as I mean to go on, and keep the limescale/water marks to a minimum.

In my last house I had the same shower screen and I used shower spray after most uses but the limescale/water marks were dreadful and I could never get rid of them. Any advice greatfully received.

pasturesnew Thu 17-Sep-09 11:43:06

mine isn't I'm afraid unless we actually clean it properly

pinkthechaffinch Thu 17-Sep-09 11:43:08

Am watching this with interest! [needs to get a life emoticon]

pigglemama Thu 17-Sep-09 11:47:31

I've trained my whole family (minus the 1year old) to squeegee the screen after showering! 3years on its looking good as new.

etchasketch Thu 17-Sep-09 11:48:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatsthetimemrwolf Thu 17-Sep-09 13:07:24

Right, will buy myself a squeegee. Might have a job on my hands training DP how to use one.

Think I must have let the limescale get beyond cleaning as I did use cillit bang on my last shower screen but it didn't work blush. Am also interested in hearing how you clean the orangey plastic bit!

SqueezyCheese Thu 17-Sep-09 13:10:27

A skoosh with some bathrom cleaner spray and a scrub with an old toothbrush for the bits at the bottom that go all discoloured, works a treat.

MissAnneElk Thu 17-Sep-09 13:12:22

Viakal or cillit bang (needs to be the that mentions lime scale on the bottle.) I have just done my shower and the easiest option is to get in and clean from the inside. Once it's clean then use glass cleaner spray to finish it off. I did go through a phase of trying to clean using only vinegar and lemon juice - didn't work

OrangeFish Thu 17-Sep-09 13:16:26

I close my eyes and pretend its clean and mark free. After years of trying I have managed to convince myself the above is true.

Guests are, thankfully, too polite to comment and get me out of my delussion.

elastamum Thu 17-Sep-09 13:33:13

It has never occured to me to even consider the possibility of even trying! i watch with interest shock

StealthPolarBear Thu 17-Sep-09 13:35:37

someone told me to use a bio washing powder paste on the shower tray to get rid of mucky marks, and it worked so well I used it everywhere - think it worked on the rubbery bit too and also got rid of the water marks (needs a good rinse and a shine afterwards though).

MrsBadger Thu 17-Sep-09 13:42:36

I solve this by not putting on my specs until after I have showered

thus when I am in the bathroom in the morning everything is a pleasant blur and I can assume the shower is sparkling clean

StealthPolarBear Thu 17-Sep-09 14:06:32

MrsB shock are you a fly lady??
I'm telling!

MrsBadger Thu 17-Sep-09 14:15:57

[hoots with laughter at thought of MrsB 'fly'ing]

no I am not

Why, does she insist you put on your specs as well as your shoes before you shower? grin

StealthPolarBear Thu 17-Sep-09 14:22:19

Oh I thought you were ... you seem to be on a lot of housekeeping threads, or maybe I'm getting you mixed up with someone else

abra1d Thu 17-Sep-09 14:26:50

Shower spray
Squeegee
Cillit bang
Shine with water/vinegar mix

It's still not perfectly smear-free, though.

MrsBadger Thu 17-Sep-09 14:27:45

oh I can talk the utility room talk with the best of them grin

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Thu 17-Sep-09 14:59:08

Lakeland do a spray called Spray Away, I think,
you just spray it on the glass and tiles after showering and no need for wiping or anything. I then give it a clean once a month or so. Simples grin

GrendelsMum Thu 17-Sep-09 22:41:55

It's early days, but wiping over with the bathroom eCloth after we shower seems to be working for this.

muddle78 Thu 17-Sep-09 22:55:40

once a week get into shower and dampen all 'walls' with hose. use 'bath power' sprayed directly into green scratchy sponge (dont breath in spray) scrub screens/chrome ect. rinse. done.

Speckledeggy Thu 17-Sep-09 23:27:54

I'm glad I'm not the only problem with this dilemma!

We're renting at the mo and for the first time we have a shower door (as opposed to a curtain). To be honest, it does my head in. We spray Mr Muscle shower spray stuff after each shower. It's brilliant but it seems so wasteful and we get through tons of the stuff.

We're moving to our new house shortly and plan to replace the bathroom straight away. I'm seriously considering a shower curtain which you can take down and chuck in the washing machine every few weeks. Is that a better option or would everyone prefer the daily grind of cleaninig the shower door every day? (ha ha!)

Speckledeggy Thu 17-Sep-09 23:28:45

Err...

I meant to say person not problem!

IckleJess Fri 18-Sep-09 12:12:17

We have 4 showers (one for each lol) and I have trained everyone to use Mr Muscle Shower Shine after every shower. Ok, so it took me a few weeks to get DS1(14) to consistently do it but he does now. We spray it everywhere inc tiles, shower hose/head and glass doors and it works a treat.

I then clean inside and out of the doors once or twice a week with glass cleaner and kitchen towel and they still look spankng new.

The downside is we get through 4 bottles of shower shine a week but I'm sure it's cheaper than having to replace opaque glass doors due to limescale and water marks.

Speckledeggy Fri 18-Sep-09 18:57:38

What?!!!

Isn't that about £4 a week? If so, at £208 a year it would probably be cheaper to replace the door!

Mind you, if you've got four showers it doesn't sound like money is a problem.

claricebeansmum Fri 18-Sep-09 18:59:46

Move up north!

In London I fought an unending un-winable battle with lime scale.

Cheshire - no problems - not a stain! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now