Talk

Advanced search

How hard would it be for a complete novice to make Roman Blinds????

(8 Posts)
ConnorTraceptive Thu 17-Sep-09 10:40:18

I really want to put some roman blinds up in my conservatory but there is no way I can afford to pay to have them made, so was thinking of making my own. Never tried anything like this before how hard would it be??

Carrotfly Thu 17-Sep-09 11:33:55

Roman blinds are really easy to make. Its just like a pillocase (sort of ...)

TBH I would think it might be very hard to put in a conservatory, at least thats why I've never attempted making them for mine, despite having successfully made around 30 blinds over the years.

The thing is, you'll have to make sure the pattern matches up exactly all around the room as it will bug you if it doesnt. Checks and stripes are notoriously awkward as a cm out just looks odd.

Secondly, dont forget the corners where 2 blinds join at 90 degrees to each other. Tour fitting measurements will need to be so accurate otherwise you might not be able to open them !

Why dont you try making a single blind for a small room first to see if you are naturally gifted ?

ConnorTraceptive Thu 17-Sep-09 13:33:30

Thanks for your reply I think you are right about making a smaller one first and see how I get on.

I see what you mean about corner measurements but fortunately our conservatory isn't "square" it's like a half octagon or pentagon (whatever that shape is called!!!)

Good point too about patterns may stick with a plain colour. I really do need to do something in there to make it more inviting!!

mathanxiety Thu 17-Sep-09 16:39:16

Did you want to be able to raise and lower them, or will they be "ornamental"? I put ornamental blinds as opposed to curtains in a bank of kitchen nook windows by sewing long rectangles, leaving a cafe rod space at the top. I sewed a space for a very light, thin dowel rod about 10 inches from the bottom. With ribbons about three inches in at left and right, attached at front and back, the bottoms under the small dowel are loosely pleated and the ribbons tied at the bottom. The rod keeps the bottom of the blinds from tapering in too much. They're basically strips of plain fabric, doubled, but the ribbons provide a bit of colour.

hotmama Thu 17-Sep-09 16:47:47

We got a quote from John Lewis - £800ish for a bay window - thought it was a bit excessive!

So dp got a kit of the internet and bought the same fabric from John Lewis by the metre - came to £150ish all in.

Dp made the blinds - likes a challenge - used his mums sewing machine etc.

So I don't think they can be too difficult to make. smile

ConnorTraceptive Thu 17-Sep-09 17:50:13

That's an interesting idea Math haven't really thought about whether they would be "functional" or not. I may try that out on our bathroom window though as that only needs to be decorative.

Didn't realise you could get kits off the internet Hotmama will have a search, Thank you

Tinkjon Fri 18-Sep-09 19:56:43

Actually I would say it could be quite tricky. My aunt is a fabulous dressmaker with loads of experience in sewing and whatnot but she says she really struggles with roman blinds.

ConnorTraceptive Sat 19-Sep-09 12:41:18

Thanks tink must admit my sewing skills are non existant so may have to have a little play around before I commit to a big project!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now