Talk

Advanced search

Help! Disgusting moth infestation in kitchen

(7 Posts)
staranise Wed 16-Sep-09 19:23:55

Anyone had the same?

Have thrown out near entire contents of kitchen cupboards this morning having found multiple moth infestation in kitchen cupboards. Baking cupboard (syrup, nuts, flour, sprinkles etc etc) was particularly grim with live larvae even in the birthday candles. Spent the rest of the day cleaning the cupboards. Should I also get some of that pherome stuff?

After a summer of lice, worms, ticks and even a flea (jsut one!) I feel like we are the scummy family blush. And I have a clearner blush blush

Millarkie Wed 16-Sep-09 19:40:30

We had moths - I think they are Indian Meal Moths?? Ours were a gift from the people who used to own the house. You have to chuck out everything - hoover all nooks and crannys in shelves and then make sure anything you buy is in sealed containers. We did all that and haven't had a repeat infestation yet.
They are disgusting creatures aren't they (stock cubes were our worst - eugh)

aubergenie Wed 16-Sep-09 21:27:00

You have my sympathies. We had them in one kitchen cupboard and they keep coming back. They've even managed to get into unopened packets. Revolting. And it costs a fortune having to throw stuff away. What's the pherome stuff?

staranise Wed 16-Sep-09 21:33:09

My friend recommended it - it attracts and kills all the male moths and so they don't mate and prevents reinfestation. I've seen it for sale online but am going to try Robert Dyas tomorrow.

Yuck, I get itchy even writing abotu them. Hope you manage to get rid of the nasty little creatures...

aubergenie Thu 17-Sep-09 08:15:41

I've never heard of it. I only found cedar balls and things for the wardrobe. Please let me know if you find them in Robert Dyas. Good luck!

duelingfanjo Thu 17-Sep-09 08:21:41

mites probably, which are in rice and flour. They don't neccesarily get into your unopened packets, from what I have read they are already in there when you buy them.

staranise Thu 17-Sep-09 16:30:34

Yes, think they are indian meal moths, lookingat the photos. No pheromes (sp?) in Robert Dyas, jsut stuff for clothes moths, Going to buy it online...haven't seen a moth today so far...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now