Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning a double duvet

(10 Posts)
ihearthuckabees Wed 16-Sep-09 12:41:08

I need to clean my winter double duvet. It is synthetic fibre (not sure what it is) and way too big to fit in my washing machine. It is quite a high tog. Should I get it dry cleaned, or take to a launderette and wash it with water? (If I can locate a launderette - they seem to be a dying breed these days).

It isn't horribly dirty, but has been slept on by the dog (whenever he managed to sneak onto it) and has been on the floor of my son's under-the-bed den for a few weeks. It also has the odd stain, although not any rancid smells or anything.

Any advice?

pasturesnew Wed 16-Sep-09 12:43:29

Launderette should be able to do it, might be worth asking them for a service wash

preggersplayspop Wed 16-Sep-09 12:45:10

I took mine to a laundrette and did a service wash which worked well.

Although I didn't think there were any launderettes in my area, once you start looking for them you realise they are still there, its just that you probably walk past them every day without noticing them!

CaptainScarlet Wed 16-Sep-09 12:49:31

How does one clean a down one?

Roomfor2 Wed 16-Sep-09 12:51:39

Another vote for a launderette, you don't even need to pay for a service, wash, most seem to have machines and dryers easily big enough for a double duvet (mine is k/s and it fit in the middle sized machines).

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Wed 16-Sep-09 12:54:07

I've sent mine to the dry-cleaners in the past, but I'm pretty sure they send them off to a laundry.

preggersplayspop Wed 16-Sep-09 12:59:32

Actually I don't know now whether mine was a service wash or was dry cleaned. I just left it with them and it came back clean later that day. I didn't think too much about how they did it!

ihearthuckabees Wed 16-Sep-09 13:23:52

Thanks everyone. Off to hunt down a launderette.

ceres Wed 16-Sep-09 15:17:58

i have read that duvets shouldn't be dry cleaned because of the toxic chemicals used in the process - apparantly these linger in the duvet.

i think down duvets can be washed too but they need to be dried thoroughly or you get musty feathers! it should say on the care label whether it can be washed.

i have on occasion washed a double duvet in the bath. it is quite hard work though and i usually just take it to the launderette

mamijacacalys Wed 16-Sep-09 15:36:49

Depending on the charges at the launderette, it may be cheaper to get a new acrylic duvet from Tesco or similar....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now