Talk

Advanced search

How does one dry washing in this crap weather?!

(17 Posts)
B1984 Tue 15-Sep-09 13:08:12

I have piles of laundry to do but where do i dry it(no tumble dryer)?what are you guys doing,has anyone dared to put their heating on?

norksinmywaistband Tue 15-Sep-09 13:11:07

I have 2 large airers and use the bannisters for sheet and towels - windows open.
I rarely have my heating on as for some weird reason the house hardy ever seems cold even in mid winter
It is currently 19* in here with 2 windows open

pinknosedevereux Tue 15-Sep-09 13:17:56

Mine's on the line; still dry enough here. I know what you mean though; there's always a few weeks in autumn when it's raining outside, but not cold enough fo the heating to go on yet.
At least we can feel smug that we're not burning tons and tons of fossil fuels just to get our washing dry.

RubysReturn Tue 15-Sep-09 13:20:52

am seriously considering hot airer type thingy from lakeland - apparantly much cheaper than td.

RubysReturn Tue 15-Sep-09 13:22:32

this
reviews are good

princessmel Tue 15-Sep-09 13:23:30

I don't have dryer. I have 2 airers permanantly up on the upstairs landing.

Washing is dry in a day.

echofalls Tue 15-Sep-09 13:26:05

same as you princess, I only use my tumble drier for towels and underwear.

BlueKangerooWonders Tue 15-Sep-09 13:39:27

No tumble dryer, but always clothes horse out. Also have peg hanging thing - it's above the washing machine so smaller things always dry overnight.

lucykate Tue 15-Sep-09 13:42:00

all of mine is line dried, no tumble drier. have an airer near a sunny window inside for all the smalls. i put the machine on late at night, so it can go straight out on the line first thing in the morning.

mel1981 Tue 15-Sep-09 13:46:40

I have a tumble dryer but try no to use it all the time if I cant line dry theres usually hangers in all the door way. A bit embarrasing when I have visitors & the house looks like a laundrette.

somewhathorrified Tue 15-Sep-09 13:57:00

I use clothes horses, the down side is you need to keep on top of the washing as it can take a couple of days to dry completely (no ironing here!)

crankytwanky Tue 15-Sep-09 14:05:24

I have fixed some of those radator drying thingies onto the shelf of the airing cupboard. (They don't fit my radiators.) I then hang clothes on hangers onto that. I can get about half a load on. I put trousers on top of the big tank thingy in there.
I do have a TD too.

ilovespagbol Tue 22-Sep-09 23:46:59

We have the lakeland heated clothes horse - its fantastic. Dries a full load no problem and keeps kitchen snug in winter. If we had the room I'd have got a sheila maid but no big enough ceiling space.

booyhoo Wed 23-Sep-09 00:04:54

i have a very small washing line so need to use my minky anyway. if its dry i hang outside and peg clothes onto minky. if its wet i hang inside on minky and radiator airers and i turn heating on.

kittycatty Wed 23-Sep-09 09:14:07

ilovesspagbol which one do you have , im looking for one at the moment.

ilovespagbol Wed 23-Sep-09 12:00:51

We have the large one - its not cheap but worth every penny. Had it a year now and use it for everything, including nappies. You can fold it down if you only need it for a half load. Eonomical too, according to lakeland blurb.

missworried Wed 23-Sep-09 23:15:25

love the sound of the lake land drier. ANy one else got a view on them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now