Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE help me solve my whiffy house mystery

(58 Posts)
CybilLiberty Sun 13-Sep-09 15:22:01

I have posted about this a looong while ago, about a strange almost camembert cheesey strong smell which would waft up from under the floor in my kitchen diner, just after we had had our building work finished.

. It stopped over the summer. I didn;t smell it once.

But now it's back. It almost 'puffs up' in a burst of smell, it's horrible. We have scented candles and burner oils but it's really strong when it happens.

We have an expensive wooden floor which I am loathed to pull up, in fact I won't, it's been down less than a year.

Does anyone anyone have any idea where this smell couls be coming from, or what it is?

NoahAmin Sun 13-Sep-09 15:22:38

dead mouse.
my mum had htis and then found it was a smelly floor cloth..

CybilLiberty Sun 13-Sep-09 15:23:47

We thought dead animal..but why would it only smell when the temperature changes? Would a dead mouse smell for over 12 months?

NoahAmin Sun 13-Sep-09 15:24:17

er yes

foxinsocks Sun 13-Sep-09 15:25:03

did you get on with your builders?

CybilLiberty Sun 13-Sep-09 15:26:05

Yes I flirted with my builders on a daily basis

NoahAmin Sun 13-Sep-09 15:26:38

you saw it as FLIRTING?
right?

<nods>

foxinsocks Sun 13-Sep-09 15:28:01

<taps nose knowingly>

NoahAmin Sun 13-Sep-09 15:31:08

<he he>

CybilLiberty Sun 13-Sep-09 15:32:11

Excuse me my flirting skills are renowned amongst the odd jobbers and artisans of Surrey.

Now could we get back to the smell.......

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 13-Sep-09 15:39:14

Drains?

Perhaps the dead mouse had family that visited and another member died on the last visit?

CybilLiberty Sun 13-Sep-09 15:40:18

It hasn't really got a drain smell desperate, and no pipes from the drain run under the floor. I hope it's not a colony of mice in their death throes....

scroobiuspirate Sun 13-Sep-09 15:43:25

am thinking drains too.

dead mouse wouldn't suddenly start smelling again, unless another one has died. they rot pretty quickly, no much flesh on em.

has it coincided with anything you can think of, heating on perhaps?

MrsWeasley Sun 13-Sep-09 15:43:34

We all know the answer is Zombies under the floor. grin

CybilLiberty Sun 13-Sep-09 15:44:57

Oh I did wonder if one of the foundation digging Polish guys had slipped and had concrete poured on him. No heating on, no.

Quattrocento Sun 13-Sep-09 15:46:21

Hmm. Must be the occupants, I reckon.

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 13-Sep-09 15:47:17

Have you carwlwd around on all fours and sniffed to ascertain the exact position of the smell.

Maybe someone squidged camembert into the floor?

Or maybe last time you washed the floor you used a wiffy cloth without realising and just re-distributed the smell? hmm grasping at straws grin

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 13-Sep-09 15:48:36

or even crawled blush

?

Thandeka Sun 13-Sep-09 15:48:45

Check back of your fridge- we had a smell that was so putrid we couldnt go in our kitchen for a bit- was thought to be dead mouse by fridge- turns out was fridge scum from shite design of the integrated appliance.

CybilLiberty Sun 13-Sep-09 15:50:51

Desperate yes I have crawled around, nose to floor like some kind or daft bloodhound. it comes from the mug cupboard, the bit by the shoe cupboard, by the fridge, it seems to change.

Can one hire an xray thing like the one drain men use to look inside pipes?

IWantAChickAndADuck Sun 13-Sep-09 15:51:08

I take it the floor was done at the same time as the other building work? Was it insulated when it was put down?

CybilLiberty Sun 13-Sep-09 15:52:09

Yes it was..why? If it wasn't would it mean a big cavity underneath?

IWantAChickAndADuck Sun 13-Sep-09 15:56:01

My DP is a builder.. he says that if the floor was taken up and re-laid the cavity areas beneath the floors should have been completley cleared of any materials that could rot. Is the kitchen an extension?

CybilLiberty Sun 13-Sep-09 15:56:59

yes part of it is.....but what could rot? Wouldn't it just be rubble and stuff?

IWantAChickAndADuck Sun 13-Sep-09 16:02:48

Didn't realise that you had it done a year ago, he thought that the builders might not of cleared it poroperly before re laying (could have been food or something).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now