Talk

Advanced search

Carbon Monoxide alarm - have you got one?

(13 Posts)
aristocat Tue 08-Sep-09 21:08:42

Today i purchased a Carbon Monoxide alarm with a digital display.

Fortunately all is well smile
I have been thinking about getting one for ages and wondered if most people have one?

poorbuthappy Tue 08-Sep-09 21:11:08

Yep, on the ceiling just outside the boiler cupboard in dd's room...so pain in the arse when the battery goes, which is always in the middle of the night!

EldonAve Tue 08-Sep-09 21:15:19

yes, only got it this year though

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 08-Sep-09 21:16:25

yes have in the kitchen (which is where the boiler is) - had it for about 4yrs now.

CMOTdibbler Tue 08-Sep-09 21:19:07

Yes, two - one in the sitting room (gas fire) and one in the utility room where the boiler is.

A friend very nearly died, and has serious long term neurological issues from carbon monoxide poisoning, so v aware of it

serenity Tue 08-Sep-09 21:20:16

We do (council property, legal requirement to have a mains fire alarm and CO2 detector) Don't actually need one though as the Boiler is new and (apparently) a sealed system, so should it start leaking CO2 it'll vent straight outside.

Rather scarily though, I discovered that accidently leaving a plastic chopping board on the hob whilst the oven's on, releases enough toxic fumes to set the alarm off!

PortBlacksandResident Tue 08-Sep-09 21:44:46

We have one in our caravan - it says "Warning Carbon Monoxide" in a very camp voice.

It may as well say "You're going out in THAT top??? Oh No Girlfriend" And wiggle it's head from side to side.

feedthegoat Tue 08-Sep-09 21:56:58

Yes. We've always had those little stick up patch things in the past but the boiler is in the loft in this house so I bought an alarm.

I've moved back to the area I grew up in and live about 3 or 4 houses away from the house my best friend grew up in. We both vaguely remember an elderly couple dying from carbon monoxide poisioning in one of the houses sad.I'm not sure if it was mine or my neighbours as although it doesn't put me off living here I'm not sure I really want to know for sure! Whilst it isn't really relevant as you should be careful in any house, I bought a battery powered one the week we moved in.

ABetaDad Tue 08-Sep-09 22:14:05

Yes, it has a very loud piercing siren and is in our basement about 4 m from the boiler at the bottom of the steps.

I test it every month to make sure it is working and change the battery every 12 months. The basement is well ventilated though.

jemart Tue 08-Sep-09 22:17:26

One of our smoke alarms also has a carbon monoxide detector built into it. It talks smile sometimes happens when I'm making toast hmm

KerryMumbles Tue 08-Sep-09 22:18:33

yep. top of the stairs. suppose i need one in kitchen as well....

Tortoise Tue 08-Sep-09 22:21:40

Yes i have one in the front room. Sort of equal distance between gas fire (although it is now disconnected) and boiler in the kitchen. Fitted by housing association.

aristocat Tue 08-Sep-09 23:48:06

i tested it and OMG what a loud noise [ nearly as loud as DD grin]

apparantly it will stop working after 7 years - read the booklet tonight.
now just gotta decide where to put it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now