Talk

Advanced search

Ideas on how to stop black clothes from fading after a few washes?

(10 Posts)
MagNacarta Sun 06-Sep-09 15:48:52

I mostly (but not always) wash black clothes in detergent designed for colours, but still they fade. DH wears a lot of black and has just bought a few new items, which I am determined to keep black for as long as possible. So, I wondered if any of you have any top tips?

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Sun 06-Sep-09 15:53:50

I wash black or strongly-coloured stuff with an Ecover detergent at 30 delicate, seems to be holding up OK.
Though I am strict about separating it out, luckily there is usually enough for a full load.

oopsacoconut Sun 06-Sep-09 15:57:34

Wash them inside out on cold wash with no softner. Apparently the softner affects the threads and they lose colour more quickly and when inside out the outside black threads don't come in contact with the machine drum and 'rub' off the fabric dye. Both these words of wisdom are from my mum who is kindly reading over my shoulder! So I have no idea if it works or not.

ThisBoyDerekDrew Sun 06-Sep-09 15:59:30

Don't dry them in direct sunlight - or turn them inside out if you do. The sun can bleach them too.

notcitrus Sun 06-Sep-09 16:04:23

Always wash inside out, no more than 40 degrees, easy-care cycle ie not really long.

And then use black Dylon regularly.

OrangeFish Sun 06-Sep-09 16:06:05

Inside out, cold wash and... add a bit of salt to the detergent drawer.

MagNacarta Sun 06-Sep-09 16:32:56

Hmm, thank you all - I do sort the clothes according to colour and turn them inside out already. Will try putting them on a shorter easy care cycling and salt!

Speckledeggy Sun 06-Sep-09 18:44:06

Check the label before you buy. Clothes with a high cotton content will always fade I'm afraid!

BeingMother Thu 10-Sep-09 17:45:17

Not sure if they have this here but in Aus there's a special detergent for black clothes you can get at the supermarket. Never used it though so I can't tell you how effective it is.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 10-Sep-09 17:49:16

Don't hang them on the line in the full, hot sun either as that can fade black clothes too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now