Talk

Advanced search

where can I get some sturdy bunk beds?

(15 Posts)
anotherbadnight Sat 05-Sep-09 16:38:24

Anyone know where I can get some nice solid bunk beds, preferably somewhere with a showroom rather than just online? I've been told the Ikea ones I was looking at are a bit wobbly and creaky.

Spidermama Sat 05-Sep-09 16:41:56

I would steer clear of Ikea and go for Stompa. They are far more sturdy with better flat runged ladders. More comfy to climb.

If you want a really posh make how about Gaultier? I'm not sure if they do bunks though.

My kids have Stompas all of which I got from Ebay second hand and I'm very happy with them. Great quality.

OrmIrian Sat 05-Sep-09 16:51:51

Or get a local carpenter to make some made to measure. DH made our boys bunks and they are solid as a rock.

normalserviceresumes Sat 05-Sep-09 16:53:14

We have Thuka ones, they are great. Heavy, sturdy and not too ezpensive. My boys have he Thuka 19 ones.

anotherbadnight Sat 05-Sep-09 19:01:00

thank you - they both look really nice, I'd seen them online already. what did your carpenter charge, if you're still about OrmIrian?

GrapefruitMoon Sat 05-Sep-09 19:06:44

Don't know if they still do them but we got some from M&S a couple of years ago - added bonus was that they assembled them for us for free!

OrmIrian Sat 05-Sep-09 20:04:46

Dh was my carpenter grin The timber and fittings cost about £100. He took a day and a half roughly to do it so I suppose about £130 labour. They are corner bunks - one goes along one wall, the other goes along the other. I should just get a quote if you interested.

CarGirl Sat 05-Sep-09 20:07:02

I found a great place that makes them to order for a reasonable cost, will go find it for you ...back in a moment or three

NeedaNewName Sat 05-Sep-09 20:09:28

Not yet arrived but I went to the showroom and was happy with their sturdiness - Flexa

Should be here within the next couple of weeks so I will report back then.

Know what you mean about wobbly beds though, inlaws have them for the gc when we visit and they seem a bot rickety - fine for the odd night every now and then but not full time.

OrnIrian - like that idea, funnily enough Flexa were the only company that made bunk beds like that as we didn't like the idea of traditional bunk beds

CarGirl Sat 05-Sep-09 20:12:17

www.pine-design.co.uk/index.html

CarGirl Sat 05-Sep-09 20:13:06

They do L shaped bunks too

anotherbadnight Sat 05-Sep-09 20:19:42

lucky you OrmIrian!

they are really reasonable CarGirl - did you buy one from them?

CarGirl Sat 05-Sep-09 20:21:51

No I bought some random bunks of ebay to try bunks before spending £££££££££££'s on any. When our dds get to tall for the bunks they have now I may well consider them. They split into 2 singles though as well.

Could you ask them for testimonials? Or ask them about their sturdiness even if it means them costing a bit more?

anotherbadnight Sat 05-Sep-09 20:39:01

have just found a showroom not too far from home with lots of the makes (thuka, flexi etc) so I'll check them out first I think, then maybe get on eBay ... thanks for the tips

CarGirl Sun 06-Sep-09 18:34:02

Our 2nd hand ones are Jay be (went and looked earlier!) and yes they are very sturdy and can be 2 single beds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now