Talk

Advanced search

Ceramic or conventional hob?

(8 Posts)
LaTrucha Wed 02-Sep-09 13:46:05

We need a new hob and I can't decide if it's worth paying double for a ceramic hob.

And yes, I do want gas but DH objects as I burnt things through being distracted by toddler when we were staying in a house with gas.

purplepeony Wed 02-Sep-09 17:42:19

I inherited ceramic when bought this house and couldn't wait to change it. The food sticks and was a pain to clean off. They also were hard to control, like electric hobs are. I swapped for gas which is what I have always preferred.
no doubt others will say differently.

LaTrucha Wed 02-Sep-09 18:33:58

I prefer gas too but DH really not keen.

So not much to prefer in a ceramic hob over a conventional one? h

TeaOneSugar Wed 02-Sep-09 19:38:59

I love the look of my ceramic one, and it's easy to clean, but I will insist on a gas one next time (DH also didn't want gas), the main downside of mine is that it's not good at simmering, which is a PITA.

LaTrucha Wed 02-Sep-09 22:15:21

Thanks. I'm surprised at the simmering thing. Useful.

I'm not allowed gas. It's between ceramic and normal. Is it worth paying double for ceramic?

Piffle Wed 02-Sep-09 22:17:18

get induction, tis FABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
I ditched gas for it and cleaning it is a pleasure! It's as quick as gas too, maybe quicker even

PacificDogwood Wed 02-Sep-09 22:20:02

Ceramic induction hob here, too!
Absolutely amazing: quicker than gas, just as easy to control temp and cleaning is v easy.
I thing there were some trial with glass ceramic for gas hobs but I am not sure they were successful.
If you were to go for induction you have to make sure your pots and pans have a "ferrous" base ie are magnetic. You can check with fridge magnet.

LaTrucha Thu 03-Sep-09 11:02:33

Thanks. I'll have a look at them. Good to know they're better than gas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now