Talk

Advanced search

How do you store lego?

(19 Posts)
Starbear Wed 02-Sep-09 10:36:55

Ds has tons of lego which he loves to play with. He has some very large parts e.g ship and dock and parts he has partly made up and tons of the little bits. How do you store the stuff neatly?

MrsBadger Wed 02-Sep-09 10:39:06

Trofast

Seeline Wed 02-Sep-09 10:39:21

We've just got a variety of clear plastic crates - and lego all over the floor grin

Starbear Wed 02-Sep-09 10:48:15

Not keen on plastic crates sad but if one must! I think I knew that in the back of my mind! grin

fatjac Wed 02-Sep-09 10:54:27

Clear plastic crates from Ikea. The ones that have lids and castors.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 02-Sep-09 11:04:00

The bin is as good a place as any. DD had a Lego frenzy when she was about 4, luckily we were living in bangkok and had a full time home help who would patiantly sort it out and put it away. Once we moved, the Lego went. I loathe it, stepping on it with bare feet is the worst. Luckily DD isn't interested in it anymore.

akhems Wed 02-Sep-09 11:04:10

suck it up with the henry

Buda Wed 02-Sep-09 11:09:17

There was a thread about this the other day - here!

Starbear Wed 02-Sep-09 11:20:44

Thank you Buda. Loved the 4 box idea until I saw the prices sad NO I couldn't damage our trusty henry! Already have a tool box for the small bits! I think a big raffia toy box and little boxes inside thathmm

gorionine Wed 02-Sep-09 11:26:47

I store them in a regular plastic storage box but, I have found a large shallow tray (it must have been packaging for some food) and when the dcs get the logos out to ply, they tip the "bits" into the tray. All the pieces are then easy for them to see and choose from to play but they do not go everywhere in the house.

Starbear Wed 02-Sep-09 11:51:23

Good idea the boxes from take-aways are good. Hmmm! I'll think we'll have a curry on Friday to save money ha! ha!

crankytwanky Mon 14-Sep-09 22:28:17

Duplo-in a jute shopping bag, in the toy cupboard. (Actually a TV cabinet from the pier.)

Proper lego-in a cool retro suitcase under DD's bed. (DS would just eat it.)

AllBuggiedOut Mon 14-Sep-09 22:32:34

Trofast, shallow drawers, vaguely sorted according to type. And a drawer tidy in one of the drawers for tiny bits.

CarGirl Mon 14-Sep-09 22:34:59

We have a huge amount of duplo in a huge but shallow under bed drawer on wheels so probably almost 3' x 3' in size.

A couple of those would work very well for lego too. There is enough height to store half built things.

lavenderkate Mon 14-Sep-09 22:35:44

Quick question to you guys. How old were your ds's when they really started to build Lego. Is 3 still too young?

MaureenMLove Mon 14-Sep-09 22:38:11

I use a big stacker crate. The lego comes half way up and there's room on top for any part builds. When it's on the floor, I use an old table cloth, then just pick up all four corners of it and pop it straight into the box. Easy to get back out again too!

AllBuggiedOut Tue 15-Sep-09 08:19:43

Between 3 and 4, lavenderkate. By 4 he was able to make some of the simpler kits (eg lego city). HTH!

Starbear Tue 15-Sep-09 09:02:27

lavenderkate Keep it simple. Ds 4 years with a lot of help from Mummy to make anything complex. A truck can take 2-3 hours hard graft. I get little a bowl for the tiny pieces. Don't get the forklift truck it looks simple but its not. Don't tell Uncles or blokes with spare cash buy Lego for your LO this Christmas. They will buy either the Dock, Ship or a Star Wars Space Ship which takes a lot of parental time. DH & I did them in shifts during Christmas. Lovely but not when other things need to be done like making Dinner smile Wish we got Lego city.

lavenderkate Wed 16-Sep-09 20:47:36

starbear, good advice actually. Was thinking about the Uncles.I have 2 other children so have barely enough time for a cuppa let alone sit down in shifts to complete lego. I am in awe of your parenting.
Allbuggedout, thanks, will look into legocity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now