Talk

Advanced search

Can you advice me on the best iron for someone who hates it and wants to make it as easy as poss but only has about £30 to spend?

(10 Posts)
MyCatIsAFleaBagNoMore Tue 01-Sep-09 09:41:16

That's about it really. I don't have a decent iron because for sometime I have sent the ironing out to be done (I really dislike it that much). However, the time has come for me to not be such a lazy mare, face my fears and do my own ironing.

So any advice on the best iron on the market, that will make my life and most importantly ironing as easy and quick as possible would be gratefully received. I do only have about £30 to spend (although, if you all advise that the best is a bit more than that, then I'll pay up to about £40).

ShowOfHands Tue 01-Sep-09 09:46:52

Just don't iron. grin

MyCatIsAFleaBagNoMore Tue 01-Sep-09 09:58:00

That has been my plan for yrs now (and I have paid some lovely people to do it for me) BUT, I am a numpty who likes clothes that seem to crumple the moment you look at them so I believe I may need to take the plunge and <gulp> do some ironing!

JennyWasAFriendOfMine Tue 01-Sep-09 09:59:29

ime, irons are pretty much the same at that sort of price

have a look at reductions on offer, Tesco had some recently

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 01-Sep-09 10:00:01

buy chocolate with the money and don't iron. I've not ironed in 20 years grin

MyCatIsAFleaBagNoMore Tue 01-Sep-09 10:06:24

hmmm... considering the chocolate advice very seriously...

If they are all pretty much the same then I'll go for the one that looks the nicest then (yes, I am that pathetic) and spend the spare cash on said chocolate and some wine (purely medicinal to aid me through the trauma of the ironing!)

pooexplosions Tue 01-Sep-09 17:28:48

Get something with a good bit of steam, but you don't need to pay much really. The basic ones aren't the best as the steam is rubbish and the controls aren't that good, I would go for a low-mid range name...you will notice a difference. After that price point though, theres no real difference until you go up to the really pricey ones.
Something like this one

or
this one

They are all much of the same at that price point, but you will get much more for 20-30 quid than you would get for a tenner, trust me.

TeaOneSugar Tue 01-Sep-09 18:09:30

I keep hearing that people don't iron, how do you manage not to iron?

What about clothes for work or special occasions?

I'd love to give up ironing.

MyCatIsAFleaBagNoMore Tue 01-Sep-09 19:06:24

Thanks pooexplosions (great name btw - too much curry or are you referring to baby nappies?).

I bought this Phillipsone for £35 down from £50 in curry's sale (glad to see it was more expensive at Argos!).

Hope it does the trick and if not, well it's quite a nice colour. grin

ShowOfHands Wed 02-Sep-09 19:45:12

I honestly never iron. I'm a SAHM and DH is a police officer (uniform doesn't need ironing). Maybe my washing machine's magic because things don't come out creased. I hang them up to dry, fold and put away.

I think I have an iron somewhere...

It's rather liberating not to bother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now