Talk

Advanced search

roller blinds - easy peasy to make????

(4 Posts)
chelseamorning Mon 31-Aug-09 18:11:52

I need three roller blinds for my new kitchen. To save cost, I've been looking at ready made blinds but I can't find a design I like.

There are lots of fab fabric designs but I think, with my designer fabric tastes, made-to-measure blinds will cost me a fortune. sad

So, in an effort to save money, I was wondering if I should try my hand at making my own. hmm Has anyone tried this? Is it easy peasy to do or will I live to regret it?!

Over to you!

chelseamorning Mon 31-Aug-09 21:02:07

bump

skiffler Sat 05-Sep-09 17:17:58

You can buy roller blind kits - they come with the roller, the mechanism and attachment bits. I got mine from a curtain shop; the cheap ones cost around £10 or so for the smaller widths. You may also be able to get them in DIY shops like Homebase etc?

The kit usually comes with instructions, but there are more details here:
www.ehow.com/how_4425330_make-roller-blind.html

It's very straightforward to do; you should be able to make one in less than a couple of hours (including sticking the fabric on the wrong way round...blush)

Good luck!

Doozle Sat 05-Sep-09 17:23:05

Everything I've read about this says that trying to stiffen the fabric is the hardest thing in the whole process. Best to find the right product and test a small bit of fabric first. If you can cut the fabric after stiffening and it doesn't fray, then you should be ok to go ahead and make the whole thing.

You could try Merrick and Day website for the kits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now