Talk

Advanced search

Childproofing the home - advice please?

(6 Posts)
Mouette Sat 29-Aug-09 13:21:00

My DS will soon start to crawl. What do I need to do to make our home "child-proof" ie safe for him? I know we can put covers over the plugs, and that we should make sure there are no small objects lying around the floor he could choke on - also we need to put slats on the stairs as the banisters are too widely spaced. But what else? What did you do in your own home? Will be grateful for advice as he is our first child. We don't want to spend too much but obviously safety is more important than anything. Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom!

lynniep Sat 29-Aug-09 13:38:06

To be honest Mouette its completetly personal. Theres no need to go overboard and put locks on everything - just make sure that a) sharp corners are covered if they are anywhere he might catch his body parts on them b) dangerous bottles and substances are out of reach or locked away or in a room he doesnt go in c)ditto for dangerous applicances eg there is nothing enabling to reach the hob or pull down pans etc. (so always cook on the back if he's about) d) long cords and wires are out of the way

Mostly you just wing it based on what they're drawn to when the time comes! I never botherd locking most of the cupboards as there isnt anything dangerous except for under the sink which does has a lock on it. And the cd drawer, which is purely cos I cannot face the mess. Nor did I ever bother with locks on the fridge or loo as he wasnt interested.

Its entirely up to you whether you bother with a stair gate - I had gates all over to pen him in! but a lot of people dont bother. I also had a cover on my video player - just to stop him poking his toys in there.

Mouette Sat 29-Aug-09 17:57:14

Thank you very much lynniep for this sensible advice. Glad I don't have to go through the house checking every single little thing... Just common sense really, but my SIL got me a bit paranoid when she talked about how she had "childproofed her house, don't you know". XX

TeaOneSugar Sat 29-Aug-09 21:11:31

We didn't do much, just lots of gates really, on the lounge, kitchen, top of the stairs and dd's room - the one on the kitchen was more about separating dd and the dog really, it's actually still there and she's 5.

I think wait and see is very good advice.

Sidge Sat 29-Aug-09 21:26:34

Crawl around on the floor to get a view of things that you might consider hazardous. I have 3 girls and have never used plugsocket covers, corner protectors or gates everywhere. But I did put cupboard locks on kitchen cupboards that contain cleaning products, china, pyrex dishes etc. I left the saucepan and plastics cupboards unlocked so they could empty those if they wanted!

I don't have much in the way of ornaments, and think that to a degree children need to learn what they can and can't touch - you can't childproof every environment they visit. Just remove the obviously dangerous - trailing wires, glass, knives. I did put a stairgate at the top of the stairs but not the bottom as I just shut the lounge door.

Mouette Sun 30-Aug-09 20:55:21

Thank you very much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now