Talk

Advanced search

Help! Someone tell me about net curtains . . .

(16 Posts)
Takver Thu 27-Aug-09 21:23:05

We need some net curtains for our bedroom window as it's very overlooked. But . . . I hate them, and more to the point I don't want to lose the view, so I want something that I can draw back IYSWIM.
I'm looking on the net (so to speak) and there seem to be more types of netcurtain than I'd ever dreamed of, and I'm not sure what on earth a cafe net, window set etc is. Any suggestions - and any recommendations for where to buy online???

whomovedmychocolate Fri 28-Aug-09 20:50:46

Blinds are your friend, you see the view, the people outside see the blinds.

A cafenet is a short net which covers only the bottom of the window - you don't want one of those. A window set is a pair of curtains with a top swag and usually includes tiebacks.

You either want voiles or you want blinds.

Go have a look at Ikea (funnily enough they are quite good at this stuff).

bodiddly Fri 28-Aug-09 20:53:21

sheer roller blinds are ideal .. you can pull them down for privacy easily but they sit out of the way when you dont need them - unless you have a big budget and can stretch to silhouette blinds!

Takver Fri 28-Aug-09 21:19:27

Daft question, but can you fit blinds to plastic double glazing (in a bay window), so there isn't really an 'above' IYKWIM. I don't think we have a big budget! If I can figure out how to fit them blinds sound like a good idea though. We are going to have to buy some curtains as well, although those are easier as at least I know what I'm looking for.
Sadly I can't really go to IKEA as the nearest one is Cardiff which is well over 3 hrs drive, online is much easier for us.
Anyway, thank you for the help, maybe I should just swathe DH in net curtain & not worry about the window, it might be cheaper grin

whomovedmychocolate Fri 28-Aug-09 21:28:07

Yes, you fit them from the sides of the wall at the top if you see what I mean.

If you could dress your DH in rubber and let him parade around for a few nights, perhaps your neighbours will train themselves not to look wink

southeastastra Fri 28-Aug-09 21:28:21

don't get this net curtain snobbery, blinds make a room too dark.

just get some really plain ones and they'll look fine.

Takver Fri 28-Aug-09 21:41:29

Not snobbery, honest. Its the thing of not being able to see out that I can't stand. We have a fantastic view of the sea from our bedroom, I want to sit in the window seat & look at it!!! In general anyway I hate not being able to see out properly regardless of the view. Really all I want is something so that DH can wander round with nothing on without having the curtains shut (he objects to the dark and also to having the light on in the morning).
Maybe I just need to sew curtain tapes on the nets & make them pull-back-able? We inherited some with the house on stretchy pole things but every time I try & pull them out of the way the pole things fall off.

Sammy1976 Wed 16-Sep-09 16:07:37

I spent ages looking for the right nets. One problem I found trying to order online was the ease of use with the websites. I finally bought from www.MrNetCurtains.co.uk I found there site was the best and so were the prices.

nicespam Wed 16-Sep-09 16:09:01

sounding suspiciouly like advertising there sammy.

Sammy1976 Wed 16-Sep-09 16:12:30

Not sure my last message went on....

I looked everywhere on the net and found the best people were www.mrnetcurtains.co.uk

They were really friendly and cheap.

nicespam Wed 16-Sep-09 16:14:20

yes you just said hmm

lynniep Wed 16-Sep-09 16:27:33

Can you use voile panels instead - bit more modern than net and you can still see though? (unless you mean this already - I'm envisioning white mesh type things with intrictate lace detailing!!)

They can look more 'drapey' and you can fasten them back out of the way easily. Plus you get them in lovely colours not just neutrals.

I mean something like this or this

Roomfor2 Wed 16-Sep-09 16:30:05

Get the thin white roller blinds from Ikea or B&Q - we have them and they let in all the light but you can roll them up almost to being as good as invisible when you want to - or have them half and half.

And they don't collect dust like nets...

cosypenguins Mon 28-Dec-15 22:45:14

Most people under the age of 65 hate net blinds. Forget about the awful nylon stuff of the last 50 years and think more about lace curtains, made from cotton. They can be beautiful, but the trick is hang them on a track or pole away from the window pane. let them hang and not look they are stuck to the window pane. That way they give you more privacy and more light. Hanging them in that way, they are elegant. Have them hanging the same length as the curtains, but on a separate pole.

suestew123 Wed 30-Dec-15 18:13:26

what about shutters? I know they are expensive but they look lovely and you can have move them around to have different views/light in to room

HanSolo Wed 30-Dec-15 18:16:54

I think takver might be sorted by now- this thread is seven years old?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now