Talk

Advanced search

The loo - oh the loo!

(15 Posts)
LittleSilver Mon 24-Aug-09 12:33:10

Is driving me mad! TMI warning!

It's very old style, cistern and chain pull - prob dates from when bathroom put in c.1930s. Anyway, the terms of our tenancy dictate that I may not use bleach .ithin the house inc bathroom due to septic tank. I was annoyed because in our old house I bleached everthing that stayed still, more or less. And everything sparkled.
Anyway, currenyl using ecover which IMHO, does not do the job, plus loo brush. But I personally think loo brushes are gross (all those germs hanging around) and used to use those disposable ones you flushed - but can't as they contain bleach.

So what I am asking is:

- what does the job well that does not contain bleach?

- What can I use instead of loo brush - or how can I decontaminate it hygienically?

Husband is not the um, tidiest when he uses the loo if you see what I mean. So need to use loo brush frequently.

Thank you everyone

Anste Mon 24-Aug-09 18:28:34

Don't know if you are allowed to use with a septic tank but try 'LIMELITE.' Toilet brushes are awful, but what can you do. Try putting the bleach in the toilet and leave brush head submerged for a while, 'clean' it by not touching!!

LevitatingCopy Mon 24-Aug-09 18:42:17

I've just started using a brand called 'Method' - it's supposed to be environmentally friendly, it smells nice but the best thing about it is it's in a really stylish duck egg blue bottle <shallow>

I don't like loo brushes but it's either that or get the rubber gloves out really. And then what do you do with the shitty cloth? <boak>

HarrietToo Mon 24-Aug-09 20:39:04

We used to have a cleaner who told us to buy disposable antibacterial wipes for cleaning loos, but never to flush them (in case of blockage), always to throw them away.

Our loo brush gets cleaned / decontaminated every time it's used - at the very least, flush the loo over it after you've used it (we have a special water-saving loo flush which means we can do this easily), and at least once a week, put bleach etc on it and leave the head submerged for 30 misn or so.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Mon 24-Aug-09 20:44:27

You could use bio-degradable wipes instead of the dreaded bleachless loo brush, then you can flush them away and not worry about blockages.

jazzandh Tue 25-Aug-09 09:38:17

I use one of the scrubbers with the disposable pads, but often just substitute pads with wads of toilet roll and use method cleaners. Haven't got the brush element to get clogged, but have the gripper/arms length element!!

Also if I use the pad only use half at a time - but they don't smell really bleachy - so they may be acceptable for your septic tank.

PlumBumMum Tue 25-Aug-09 09:44:29

You can use harpic in septic tanks,
we have a septic tank and I do occasionally still use bleach, because previous owners didn't clean at all I think and loo is easily stained[boak]

crankytwanky Fri 28-Aug-09 09:03:08

Would hydrochloric acid be out of the question with a septic tank?

Kim & Aggie would say bicarb & vinegar mixed to make an unholy foam. Have you tried that?
Sorry I can't be more help! My heart goes out to you! grin

BonsoirAnna Fri 28-Aug-09 09:09:14

Buy cheap Ikea loo brushes and replaceable heads and change very regularly.

TheProvincialLady Fri 28-Aug-09 09:13:07

If you trained encouraged your DH to use the loo like a grown up or at least clear his own mess up, you would not need to worry quite as much.

haventsleptforayear Fri 28-Aug-09 09:17:47

DON'T use even biodegradable wipes in a septic tank.

They will still take a while to break down and you will end up with a huge bill for cleaning the tank or your DH will be "fishing" the wipes out [boak]

Our childminder told me her sister empties the loo with a syringe, bleaches/scrubs it, and then tips the water away elsewhere.

Not a daily job I think though!!!

MrsMagnolia Fri 28-Aug-09 18:52:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BertieBotts Fri 28-Aug-09 18:57:07

Yep was going to suggest coke. I have tried it though and it didn't work very well. I didn't empty it though - how do you do that?

Our loo has a weird shelf thing which means skidmarks are inevitable. We have just got one of those toilet duck things which puts blue stuff into the loo with every flush and it seems to sort of lubricate the bowl so poo sticks to it much less.

SpawnChorus Fri 28-Aug-09 19:01:21

Do you really clean your DH's skids? shock

We operate a strict srub-your-own-skids policy chez nous.

mathanxiety Sat 29-Aug-09 08:22:32

A lot of people (maybe like your DH) think loos clean themselves by magic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now