Talk

Advanced search

How to keep a gas cooker lit ffs??

(4 Posts)
marenmj Mon 24-Aug-09 09:32:40

Am in a new house and dealing with a gas cooker for the first time in my life and I can't bake ANYTHING.

The starter sparks, but only after I have tried three or four times, can smell the gas, and have a match in hand to manually light it - and then five minutes later the flame goes out. I'm constantly checking on the baking and relighting the flame or it will go cold and utterly ruin my cakes.

When the flame does stay on it heats v unevenly (burnt at the back, raw at the front), ruining more cakes.

What am I missing?

I am gutted because I had to scrap some really lovely summer berry muffins due to the cooker starting too hot then going too cold so the b.powder and soda never really activated, but the tops burnt. I worked in a bakery through school and I've never had such a problem baking!

nancy75 Mon 24-Aug-09 09:35:49

i have always had a gas oven and its never gone out on its own. i think you should get it checked.

marenmj Mon 24-Aug-09 10:06:04

hm, I have a gas inspection scheduled for tomorrow. I suppose I will raise it with them.

I just assumed I was doing something wrong.

CyradisTheSeer Wed 26-Aug-09 10:55:28

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now