Talk

Advanced search

Wheelie bins - i know that they have been discussed at length.......However

(12 Posts)
NaughtyAlice Sat 22-Aug-09 11:47:40

WE have 3 wheelie bins, black for all rubbish, blue for recycling and brown for compost/brown cardboard.

They have started really stinking in this warm weather. Please can i have your top tips for a fragrant wheelie bin? (black is the worst)

Thanks smile

MaureenMLove Sat 22-Aug-09 11:55:28

If your black one is stinking, you can't be recycling 100%! wink Theoretically, there shouldn't be anything wet or smelly in there, right?

Anyway, how about sticking a couple of those cheap airfresheners on the inside of the lid? That might help a bit.

NaughtyAlice Sat 22-Aug-09 12:00:28

The black is where anything that can't be recycled goes, so nappies, chicken carcasses grotty bits of kitchen roll etc.

Have heard of bin deoderisers, wondered if anyone had used them and if they actually work.

PuppyMonkey Sat 22-Aug-09 12:03:21

I just stick my dustbins right at the bottom of the garden and don't give a stuff if they stink or not to be honest! grin Isn't rubbish supposed to stink? That's life!

PleaseMrsButler Sat 22-Aug-09 12:05:26

You can get a product from Jeyes which is specifically designed for deodorising bins (indoor and out). They are disinfectant granules and they are pretty good if used regularly (sprinkle liberally on top of rubbish in bin about twice a week). You can find them with the disinfectants and stuff at the supermarket. I think you will only be able to use it in the black bin as you don't want to add it to teh composting bin and recycling...but it sounds as though the black one is the worst one.

NaughtyAlice Sat 22-Aug-09 12:07:41

Would work except they have to live in our very small front garden or wheel them through the house on bin days. bit crap really. I don't mind them smelling, but it is the fact that i literally have to hold my breath from the front door to the street whilst wrestling a toddler grin

NaughtyAlice Sat 22-Aug-09 12:08:22

Thank you PleaseMrs smile

MaureenMLove Sat 22-Aug-09 12:16:02

Fair enough! I'd forgotten about the nappy thing. It's a long time since I've done that!

PleaseMrsButler Sat 22-Aug-09 12:19:03

this is what you are looking for. It is in a cardboard pot

HarrietToo Mon 24-Aug-09 20:32:25

I think it's got a lot to do with whether they're kept in the sun or shade. Mine have never smelt particularly in their normal location, tucked away behind the shed, but I left the black one in the main garden (south-facing) one week, and it smelt disgusting.

HarrietToo Mon 24-Aug-09 20:34:47

Sorry, I've just read your description and that's not much help is it? Our council makes special arrangements for people in terraced houses - you can put out bags rather than bins so you don't have the problem of wheeling them thorugh the house. Can you ask about this?

I put meat and fish inside an old plastic bag before binning it as well.

NaughtyAlice Mon 24-Aug-09 21:09:09

Well, i found some Domestos Bin Neutraliser (couldn't find the Jeyes one) seems to work ok.
Harriet we can get round to our back garden normally, but the house that is next to the allyway is having quite a bit of structural work so haven't been able to for quite some time. We are planning on sectioning off a corner of our garden for the bins and that would always be in the shade. Hadn't thought of shade/heat thing tbh smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now