Talk

Advanced search

Help to turn the top of my dress back to white?? Bottom is black....

(11 Posts)
waitingforbetterdays Fri 21-Aug-09 15:46:27

Ok so I stupidly bought a dress with the bottom half black and top half white. It looked really nice, I washed it as the instructions said but now the white bit is nasty grey.

I am rubbish at getting stains out and even worse with things like this. Is there any way to turn the top half back to white? If not is there a way of dying the top half a different colour, that will not affect the bottom half of the dress?

the material is 95%polyester and 5% elastane. Iknow it sounds discusting but it is really flattering... Please help I'm cluless.....

nancy75 Fri 21-Aug-09 15:50:24

where did you buy it? i would probably take it back tbh, get a new one and have it dry cleaned

Floopy21 Fri 21-Aug-09 15:52:19

Soda crystals in with the wash? Check out Kim & Aggies' website (how clean is you house ladies), they have loads of tips.

AMumInScotland Fri 21-Aug-09 15:53:46

If you don't want to return it to the shop, you could try Dylon ColourRun to take the dye out of the white half. And then I guess you'd have to use a colour-catcher every time you wash it.

But personally, I'd take it back for a refund since it shouldn't do that if you followed the instructions, and I think the manufacturer is taking the piss making a dress that runs like that when half is white.

waitingforbetterdays Fri 21-Aug-09 15:59:08

I cant take it back as it is well past the 30days as didn't wear it for ages. Also it was only from a cheap shop so cost about £20, if it wasn't so flattering I would probably just throw it away as was not expensive and I dont think the shop are likly to take it back...

AMumInScotland Fri 21-Aug-09 16:04:38

Legally you could still take it back, your rights aren't limited to 30 days whatever the shop says. But if it only cost £20 then it's maybe not worth the arguing. Try the colour run if you want to try and get it ok again.

thatsnotmybelly Fri 21-Aug-09 16:13:31

Argh! Self defeating clothes. Drives me mad.

I have a new beautiful black dress with a pale green and white pattern. HOW do I wash it?

And what about dd's dress that is striped pale yellow and dark blue?

Infuriating.

waitingforbetterdays Fri 21-Aug-09 16:14:02

I will do thanks, but do you think it would ever be able to go back to bright white again? As I wouldn't want to wear it if it was greyish....

What I was thinking maybe there is a way to dye it bright white with out it affecting the black bit? As I said I am cluless... grin

AMumInScotland Fri 21-Aug-09 16:16:46

Colour run is pretty good, specially on polyester/nylon etc, so it might do the trick. I don't know what else you could safely use - there are those net-curtain-whitener sachets, and just plain bleach - but either would soak up onto the black part, even if you only dunked the top into it, so you might damage the black parts.

waitingforbetterdays Fri 21-Aug-09 21:52:29

I will defintly try thr colour run... smile

marenmj Mon 24-Aug-09 09:19:35

If you get it back to white I have heard (from my mother) that a rinse in a white vinegar/water mix before the first wash will 'set' colours.

She mentioned it after my white dress with lovely red flowers became a mottled pink dress with lovely red flowers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now