Advanced search

Insurance Question?

(15 Posts)
mustsleep Tue 18-Aug-09 18:28:50

don't think I'm putting this in the right place but here goes grin

right we have this sodding Hotpoint washing machine for a while now and it is crap constantly getting blocked etc, anyway i has ruined our kitchen laminate and all the bottoms of the kitchen cabinets etc

This time it has basically completely flooded the kitchen making the kitchen even worse than itt was before...and now the asher is completely broken and will not work at all sad

I understand that I could claim off the house insurance for the floor, but could I claim for the kitchen units aswell (obv not the wall cabinets but any with water damage)? Also could I claim for the washing machine too? wink

PM73 Wed 19-Aug-09 18:02:15

Depends if you have accidental cover or not,if you have then yes you can.

mustsleep Wed 19-Aug-09 18:14:23

we do we do! grin could I claim for it all do you think?

I tried to claim for my table a while back through churchill as dd had drawn on it thinking I would get a new one and they were on about sending out a French polisher..not £150 excess so I cancelled it

fiestabelle Wed 19-Aug-09 21:16:01

You can claim for the flooring and any damaged units, under the Escape of Water section of your policy. No cover for replacing any undamaged units which match the damaged ones tho. You wont be able to claim for the washing machine - it is only the resultant damage from a leak, and not the repairs/replacement of the item which has leaked which is covered.

PM73 Wed 19-Aug-09 21:41:06

One of dh's work mates wm flooded their kitchen & they had to replace all the units as they couldnt find a good enough match for the ones that were ruined.

Give them a ring & ask.

mustsleep Thu 20-Aug-09 07:50:26

thanks smile our units are pretty standard so matching them wont be a prob just have to save up the excess tho

ChopsTheDuck Thu 20-Aug-09 08:00:44

agree with fiestabelle. It is also possible that they will replace the units and jsut put the old cupboard doors back on.

We had a toilet break on us last week, leaving us with 3" of water through the back of the house.

In our case, because it was a lot of water (even though it was only on the floor overnight), it has soaked through nearly the entire ground floor. The insurance are sending out a drying otu company, who will rip up the laminate, and install fans and dehumidifiers to dry out the floor before they reinstall the new floor.

If you want to claim, I think you really have to do it asap, because otherwise they may say you have aggravated the damage. We've been told the drying out work needs to commence asap, and will take up to 6 weeks.

It is £1000s to repair and we've had a loss adjsuter checkign up on everything too.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 20-Aug-09 08:02:06

actually I am wondering if you may have trouble claiming since the washer has been faulty for a while. They may consider that you should have repaired it sooner.

mustsleep Thu 20-Aug-09 08:15:01

I don't think it needs drying out but it has seeped in the cracked in the laminate and caused it to bubble up, we have a concrete floor so it won't have damaged any floor boards etc

I wouldn't tell them that the washer has been faulty before, it is his new fault on it hat has destroyed the flooring iykwim

It has been repaired normally i has been the filter which is blocked now there is something wrong with the pump

Do you think that if I call them and explain they will tell me how much they would pay out etc before I "make" a claim

ChopsTheDuck Thu 20-Aug-09 08:21:14

We have concrete floors too, and bubbled up laminate jsut as you describe, no water sitting anywhere. The guy came out with his meter though, and measured it and said it has to be dried out before a new floor can be dried. It seeps through the laminate and will be soaked underneath. It then spreads across the concrete under the laminate. We hadn't noticed any bubbling outside of the kitchen, and thought it would jsut be that which needed doing, but the meter readings were awful, and on closer inspection we could see where the laminate had expanded and was starting to push up at the joins.

Our loss adjsuter did a big calulation and sent that out to confirm before any work started, so I guess if you wanted it would be possible to decline at that stage. But if it really is damp, I don't think they would be very happy at leaving it.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 20-Aug-09 08:22:19

before a new floor can be layed, sorry!

mustsleep Thu 20-Aug-09 08:31:13

oh right thanks!! shock I guess I'd better call them then our kitchen is right next to our living room seperated by a wall and we have laminate in there that jpins directly to the laminate in the hall too which is also connected to the kitchen

dh will be gutted if it has wrecked the floor in there he only layed all that laminate last year sad

ChopsTheDuck Thu 20-Aug-09 08:50:11

sounds very similar to our layout, and it jsut went underneath the wall to the lounge next to the kitchen. Have a look at the joins and see if it is pushing up. We can jsut see tiny thin ridges at the joins in the lounge.

Fingers crossed for you!
At least if it does need doing, all the work will be done for you.

mustsleep Thu 20-Aug-09 08:59:12

thanks am going to give them a ring when ds is having his nap

the thing with the kitchen floor is that my dh put the flooring down and then put the kitchen cupboards on top (obv wih hind sight that was a pretty stupid thing to do) so to take the floor up we would have o ake ou all the bottom kitchen cupboards lol aaarrrggghhh

can't see any ridges in the laminate anywhere else thank god

ChopsTheDuck Thu 20-Aug-09 09:06:25


wouldn't worry too much. We have panelling blocking off under the stairs that was built on top of the old carpet! They didn't seem too phased about how that was going to come out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: