Talk

Advanced search

Is it disgusting?

(15 Posts)
LynetteScavo Tue 18-Aug-09 11:40:48

To put cat bowls in the dishwasher?

My sister says it is, and doesn't want to drink out of mugs that have been in the dishwasher with the cat bowls.

Is she over fussy or is it disgusting?

ByTheSea Tue 18-Aug-09 11:42:01

I would. Then again, I put the washing machine soap tray in the dishwasher too.

SoupDragon Tue 18-Aug-09 11:42:54

I can't bear to do this either!

TaxiLady Tue 18-Aug-09 11:43:55

your sister is a fussy mare

dishwashers are safe for sterilising baby bottles, so no cat germs to get on her precious tea cups! :P

Rubyrubyrubyrubi Tue 18-Aug-09 11:47:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

msrisotto Tue 18-Aug-09 11:49:31

Dog and cat food has to be safe for human consumption so there's no problem on that front. It may taste gross but.....some people eat food that I consider gross but i wouldn't refuse to use crockery that had been washed in the same machine as theirs.

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 18-Aug-09 11:49:54

i wouldn't have a problem with it TBHm but then i have been known to put my Crocs in the dishwasher blush

AMumInScotland Tue 18-Aug-09 11:51:30

The cat's germs are less dangerous to her than the human germs on the cutlery, and mugs and glasses where people's mouths have touched them. The point of dishwashers (and washing dishes at all...) is to get rid of all those germs.

lljkk Thu 20-Aug-09 09:11:43

It bothers me a lot. Cat food is just so Minging.
But we put our pet rats' bowls in the DW.
That is perfectly okay to do, of course grin.

OtterInaSkoda Thu 20-Aug-09 13:05:33

ByTheSea sticking your washing machine drawer in the dishwasher is a top tip indeed - not sure why I've never thought of it. Thanks!

I suppose if you put your dishes/cat bowls in on a very low temp wash it would be a little bit grim but no grimmer than doing them by hand in the sink. What does you sister do? Does she have separate white goods for human and animal use? grin

Chinwag Thu 20-Aug-09 13:19:22

I wouldn't do it!! Eww! They've licked their bums!!!

lilacclaire Thu 20-Aug-09 16:08:27

Chinwag - at least its their own bums they've licked, wonder if the cat would actually want their bowls in the dishwasher with our stuff considering where our mouths end up wink

CMOTdibbler Thu 20-Aug-09 16:12:15

Course not. What else are you supposed to do with the cat bowls ? And it washes at a really high temperature, so they are pretty much sterilised too

GrimmaTheNome Thu 20-Aug-09 16:22:42

So what about dog bowls, given that they don't just lick their own bum?grin

I never have put ours in the DW, don't know why really. But then, as he eats dry food its easy to clean.

PuppyMonkey Thu 20-Aug-09 16:27:34

Dishwasher gets so hot it would kill off anything deadly that could be passed on. She is a fussy mare who needs to get a life. wink

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! re washing machine drawer in dishwasher btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now