Talk

Advanced search

Best way to store DC1 clothes until DC2 comes along

(14 Posts)
dontknowwheretostart Tue 18-Aug-09 11:18:43

Have 16m/o rapidly growing out of 12/18 m clothes
Which means i have 4 sizes of clothes stacked in various dot cotton laundrette bags in my spare room
But I don't want them to live there forever
Don't have masses of space in my loft (and what's there is filled with lots of pink baby girl clothes kindly donated hmm by SIL before my baby was born and turned out to be a DS
Any advice gratefully received.

damnitdamnit Tue 18-Aug-09 14:05:11

i love the vac packs you can get. they turn really heavy though, so buy small ones.

HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 14:07:41

damnit is right, I've vac packed everything. Two large size ones did all his clothes from birth to 18 months, and he had tons of clothes!

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 14:40:47

I just use the laundrette bags in the loft, but I also keep handing things down so there's usually at least 6m worth of clothes out on loan as SIL's

Can you ditch the pink stuff, or at least give it back to SIL in the interim?

FourArms Tue 18-Aug-09 18:30:28

Mine are all in stacking crates. Just make sure you sort them by age, and label them clearly. Unfortunately I put one pair of wrong size pants in a box, and DS2 ended up missing out on a whole box of clothes which had a pair of 3-4y pants on top of 2-3 clothes. angry Also sort of blush that he has so many clothes I didn't notice a whole box missing from what was DS1's wardrobe!

LadyStColumb Tue 18-Aug-09 18:34:59

Sort into gender/unisex and then age. Put in carrier bags for each category and then put in big stacking crates.

LittleSilver Mon 24-Aug-09 12:36:15

I do exactly what FourArms does. Very satifying it is too.

SadCatlady Mon 24-Aug-09 12:52:40

Definitely VacPac. So easy, keeps them totally free from moisture/dust/mites/moths etc too and you can sling them in the attic/loft/under the bed smile

I have VacPacked all my maternity clothes too. The big knickers took up on bag all by themselves shock

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 26-Aug-09 11:29:49

I sorted into ages, then went through and seriously had a look at what I could/should throw/sell/charity shop before putting them away.

good luck!

eeky Sun 30-Aug-09 19:49:35

Just trying to do the same as dd is 16m as ds expected any day now smile

BUT - and have posted about this before - I cannot get the fecking vacuum bags to stay vacuumed! I have v.large vacusacs from Lakeland and cheapo smaller ones from Lidl. Both re-inflate within few minutes. No rips or tears, ziplock intact, but all the various valves that the vacuum hose goes in admit air again whatever I do. AAARGH!

Really want the stuff vac'd as in old house and plenty of moths. Any tips apart from all the things I've said above which I've already checked angry

eeky Sun 30-Aug-09 21:32:08

please help me

<pathetic 39 week pregnant woman desperately trying to nest in chaotic household emoticon - sob!>

aubergenie Sun 30-Aug-09 21:36:29

Eeky - Do you turn the valve fully to close it once you've done the vacuuming bit?

eeky Sun 30-Aug-09 22:55:14

Yes, on the ones with a round valve. The Lakeland ones have a soert of trap door at the bottom of the bag, into which you put the hose, and a mini zip-loc closing to fasten really quickly once you take the vac out. I'm mystified.

mathanxiety Mon 31-Aug-09 03:03:15

Duct tape.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now