Talk

Advanced search

Stiff collars and ties for young children - HELP!

(11 Posts)
OldDoe Sun 16-Aug-09 13:58:25

Hey up

Both my children are starting a new school in September.

The new uniform includes collar & tie. They are not used to them, as old uniform was a sensible polo shirt!

Both children accepting of all new uniform EXCEPT the stiff colars.

I bought M&S non-iron shirts.

DD is 6 - I bought aged 7.

DS is 8 - I bought aged 9.

Both have space inside collar for me to insert two fingers BUT they do seem very stiff and the buttons seem stiff and difficult for little people to do by themselves as well.

Any and ALL tips gratefully received. smile

thisisyesterday Sun 16-Aug-09 14:00:13

i think they'll just get used to it tbh.
it will feel strange to start with, but the shirts will soften and they'll get used to having it ro9und their neck,
maybe sit and do up/undo buttons while you watch tv to loosen them??

OldDoe Sun 16-Aug-09 14:03:20

Thanks thisis. I'm just putting all the shirts through a wash in the hope it will soften them a little. Can't use fabric conditioner though because DS is allergic to everything except Fairy non-bio.

OldDoe Sun 16-Aug-09 17:51:43

Well a couple of washes and tumble dries hasn't done a right lot! looks like I'm in for an evening of pushing buttons in and out of th'oles! How fabulous is this parenting business!

I wonder what would happen if I used elsatic thread to stitch the top buttons on - would it make it easier? Can you get elastic thread that skinny?

OldDoe Mon 17-Aug-09 10:54:30

Just bumping in case anyone knows of any other tips or shirts which are easier?

LIZS Mon 17-Aug-09 10:57:43

They really will get used to it very quickly. Ladybird shirts go softer than M and S ime but even my just 6yr old dd could manage hers (and a teacher or other child may help).

OldDoe Mon 17-Aug-09 10:59:41

Thanks Lizs. Where do you buy Ladybird from now that Woollies has gone kerput?

JackieNo Mon 17-Aug-09 11:00:53

Woolies is now back online (hurray!).

JackieNo Mon 17-Aug-09 11:01:45

Woolworths online. No guarantee, I guess, that they're using the same suppliers for the Ladybird stuff, but might be worth a try.

OldDoe Mon 17-Aug-09 11:07:25

THANK YOU JACKIE!!!!!

Found school shirts but they're NOT Ladybird. They're called Topclass I think. 5 shirts for only eight quid though! Maybe I should order them just to see.

Can't believe Woolies is still 'out there' - proper made my day, that has grin

JackieNo Mon 17-Aug-09 15:34:43

grin. It made my day too, when I found out they were back online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now