Talk

Advanced search

Washing smells funny when it comes out of the machine

(10 Posts)
ministryofsleep Sun 16-Aug-09 13:54:31

It smells like it hasn't rinsed properly and I can't smell the fabric conditioner on the clothes - usually it's a very nice strong smell. The Machine is running properly and there aren't any leaks - anyone have any suggestions?

TaxiLady Sun 16-Aug-09 13:57:34

stop washing at 30 and 40 degrees, it encourages all the filth and slime to grow and live in your machine!

and that's where your smell comes from!! bleurgh!!

do a 60degree wash once in a while, or a 90degree with bleach or white vinegar, the latter will freshen the machine and lose the nasty niff! :D

jackblack Sun 16-Aug-09 14:02:02

have you checked the powder drawer? sometimes the hole where the conditioner goes gets blocked!
Also, what Taxilady said ... do a 60 degree wash now and then to kill the bugs ... I always do my whites at 60 grin

TaxiLady Sun 16-Aug-09 14:02:55

yes...damn the polar bears!

BadgersArse Sun 16-Aug-09 14:03:26

LOADs of threads on this with lots of ideas

ministryofsleep Sun 16-Aug-09 14:08:02

thanks everyone - had just done a 60degree whites wash followed by a 40degree colours - they both smell a bit dodgy. Have just put the machine on empty with a 90degree wash on though so that might shift the bugs and slime grin TaxiLady - if I was going to put bleach or white vinegar in to get rid of the smell how much do I need to add?

Thanks everyone for the tips

TaxiLady Sun 16-Aug-09 14:16:25

maybe a cupful of vinegar or less of bleach i suppose.....i mostly 60 wash so never get this.

ministryofsleep Tue 18-Aug-09 09:40:34

well I did a 90 wash with bleach, then a 90 wash with white vinegar, then a 90 wash with nothing grin and the problem seems to be solved - thanks everyone for your tips. I have also swapped from liquid to powder so hopefully that should stop it happening again

purplepeony Wed 19-Aug-09 13:34:04

won't bleach or vinegar damage any rubber seals etc?
I have this problem too.
I am sure you can buy washing machine freshner, or you can use Calgon and run it through with that, on empty.

ministryofsleep Wed 19-Aug-09 21:10:13

don't know if it damaged the seals but a bit late for that now grin think calgon or washing machine freshener would just mask the smell tbh withoug solving the problem - my washing smells lurvely now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now