Talk

Advanced search

how do u keep flies out of your house?

(9 Posts)
booyhoo Wed 12-Aug-09 11:49:30

i cant burn candles because im not always in and i have little ones aswell and i hate those sticky things that trap the flies.

is there anything that wil stop them coming into the house?

Naetha Wed 12-Aug-09 11:55:54

Only closing all the windows and doors. Make sure there's never food out - key things that attract them are uncovered bins, cat food bowls, dirty dishes etc.

Burning candles won't do anything to stop them - they're more for midges/mosquitos, and have to be specific types of candles (usually citronella).

You can go round spraying Raid on them, but personally I can't stand the stuff and it makes me choke. Also probably not a good idea if you have children.

We used to use fly-paper and just be done with it. It's a bit of a faff, but it's pretty easy to manage, and does a great job of getting rid of the flies. Often you only need to use it for a couple of weeks a year.

saythatagain Wed 12-Aug-09 11:58:48

Realistically, I don't think you can. But if someone comes here and gives us a top tip I will be very grateful!

WowOoo Wed 12-Aug-09 12:01:48

We don't!

Have been swatting the bastards, keeping in door doors closed and food covered.

MrsBadger Wed 12-Aug-09 12:14:13

get rid of things that attract them

and cultivate spiders

GreatGooglyMoogly Wed 12-Aug-09 12:15:14

In the US they have bug screens that stay closed when windows/ doors are open but that is probably not much use to you right now I'm afraid.

booyhoo Thu 13-Aug-09 01:07:51

oh bother, i thought there might have been some magic trick to keeping them out. i dont like the fly sprays either. ah well, will just have to keep my slipper to hand.

kitkatqueen Thu 13-Aug-09 01:58:58

Actually, I'm about to make up some net curtain panels in plain white netting that I can velcro to the inside of the window for the summer. You could buy a kit a few months ago in lidls very cheaply, but idiot that I am I didn't bother. ( i think it was £2.99 for a double door size piece of neting and velcro)

My house is full of flies / gnats spiders and very strangley there are 3 grasshoppers on the upstairs ceilings!! How???

Driving me nuts!!!

GrendelsMum Fri 14-Aug-09 13:26:42

Kim and Aggie say that you can put out some cider or cider vinegar in a jar to attract them and drown them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now