Talk

Advanced search

Rust marks from DHs shaving foam bottle on sink....

(14 Posts)
clutteredup Mon 10-Aug-09 15:16:01

...anyone have an idea how to remove them and then stop it happening again?

StealthPolarBear Mon 10-Aug-09 15:17:35

oooh getting on this, not on our sink but on windowsill

ZippysMum Mon 10-Aug-09 15:20:10

I am assuming a porcelain sink.

A couple of ideas from Google:
Metal polish [hmmm]
Or...

"The easiest way to get it out is to pour salt in a pile over the spot & then squeeze lemon juice over the salt making it wet but not runny. let it sit overnight and then wipe it away. The acidity in the combination pulls the rust stain right out of the porcelain and into the salt mixture w/ no chemicals or mess left over. This works wonders, I use it in my sink quite often."

Not happening again.. use one of those posh glass things that come with M and S desserts to stand it in or stand it somewhere else! wink

beckysharp Mon 10-Aug-09 15:21:46

No idea how to get the marks off, but if you paint clear nail polish on the bottom of the can it won't happen again Cheaper than posh glass things smile (but perhaps you want the M&S dessert!)

ZippysMum Mon 10-Aug-09 15:25:58

Or the plastic cap off a Pringles packet.

Washersaurus Mon 10-Aug-09 15:37:07

This really annoys me, we have it in our shower where DH leaves his shaving stuff. Why oh why do they make the containers so the bottom goes rusty? Designed by men I bet....

ZippysMum Mon 10-Aug-09 15:47:11

Just a thought - does the plastic cap from the shaving gel fit over the bottom of the can? If it did - voila (then you'd just have to get DH / DP to make sure he left it there...)

clutteredup Mon 10-Aug-09 15:54:42

Many thanks everyone - zippy will try your idea tonite - does it work with bottle lemon juice as have no fresh lemon and DD2 porrly with poss swine flu? -
Good ideas for not happening again - I have several of those posh pudding things - clearly eat too many blush - will give it a go - thanks.

ZippysMum Mon 10-Aug-09 15:58:04

I think bottled lemon would work just as well as is still acidic, Vinegar (the white stuff) would probably work too - but not smell so nice.
Hope it works!

clutteredup Mon 10-Aug-09 15:59:16

I'll let you know smile

ZippysMum Tue 11-Aug-09 12:13:50

Any news, clutteredup?
<<hopes that overexcitement about stain removal from someone else's sink is pregnancy-related mania and not a permanent personality change>> hmm

mathanxiety Fri 14-Aug-09 18:19:41

Try a pumice stone, gently. You can also use this to erase rust marks from around the inside rim of the toilet. Takes a while though.

GentleOtter Fri 14-Aug-09 18:21:19

Barkeeper's Friend will shift it.

TeaOneSugar Tue 18-Aug-09 23:15:43

I got my dh a gift set with a special container to keep his shaving stuff in, because this really annoys me - he still leaves the can on the windowsill!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now