Talk

Advanced search

mouldy disgusting wachine machine drawer -how do I stop it happening and how do you clean yours?

(32 Posts)
brimfull Mon 10-Aug-09 14:34:53

is it powder or liquid that makes it worse?

Have soaked in bleach ,scrubbed with brush and poked into dark smelly orifices with cloth .

It is now in the dishwasher....life is too short for this kerfuffle.

What is the answer housekeeping gurus?

CybilLiberty Mon 10-Aug-09 14:35:49

Regular sluicing is the only answer.

brimfull Mon 10-Aug-09 14:36:57

bloody hell why can't a washing machine be cleaned whilst it washes ffs!!

brimfull Mon 10-Aug-09 14:37:31

american type one is required I think

MmeLindt Mon 10-Aug-09 14:39:44

This is one for the hated inanimate objects threads. My mum always puts the tabs in the wrong bit and it makes it even worse. Why can't someone design a washing machine drawer that stays clean?

<rant over>

<lurk>

crokky Mon 10-Aug-09 14:41:52

I put the washing liquid directly onto the clothes in the drum. My drawer is pristine!

brimfull Mon 10-Aug-09 14:42:01

You're right it has been done to death on mumsnet.

I normally ignore the thread and the washing machine but the filth has been coming out on the white wash now.Farkin all over cream three piece suite cover !!!

brimfull Mon 10-Aug-09 14:42:41

crokky-really ???

just chuck it on??

crokky Mon 10-Aug-09 14:43:57

yep, just chuck on the clothes. However, I do use quite small quantities and all my clothes are clean. Try it out on some kids clothes if you are worried grin.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Mon 10-Aug-09 14:44:42

But it's the fabric conditioner part that gets more manky than the detergent IME.

DamonBradleylovesPippi Mon 10-Aug-09 14:45:38

same probl here, but thought it was because it is a s**t one from prev owner. I will do what crokky does to from now on! doesn;t the powder remain on the clothes though?

<how boring is this?>

MmeLindt Mon 10-Aug-09 14:49:08

ggirl
No, I did not mean that it has been done to death, I meant that the washing machine drawer belongs on the Which Inanimate Objects Piss You Off?

crokky Mon 10-Aug-09 14:52:39

SOLOisMeredithGrey - I don't use fabric conditioner - I tumble all the clothes so don't need it.

DamonBradleylovesPippi - I haven't tried it with powder, only liquid. If you use a small quantity of liquid, it won't remain on the clothes.

Again - disclaimer to all - try it out on some cheap kids clothers!!!!!

DamonBradleylovesPippi Mon 10-Aug-09 14:55:45

ahh yes if liquid I believe and I am sure it does work. they used to do those plastic balls which you put directly in the drum full of liquid det, don't they do them anymore? why one needed the ball I don't know though. I think I'll buy liquid and do it this way too.

now since we are talking about the sodding washing machine, why does my crappy one smells mouldy? and how do I get rid of it?

LadyMuck Mon 10-Aug-09 15:01:30

I dread to think how long I owned a washing machine before I realised that the detergent drawer is designed so that it can be removed for cleaning. I probably only do so once or twice a year, though I don't use fabric conditioner in many washes.

LadyMuck Mon 10-Aug-09 15:02:50

DamonBradleylovesPippi, are you in a hard or soft water area? And how recently have you descaled your machine?

DamonBradleylovesPippi Mon 10-Aug-09 15:03:30

ladymuck I have never removed it either, DH does that. However mine wasn't designed that well tbh as it is bloody hard work to get it out!

MmeLindt Mon 10-Aug-09 15:06:13

Hmm, might try the liquid in the drum thing. I think that I have seen capsules somewhere, they go straight into the drum.

DamonBradleylovesPippi Mon 10-Aug-09 15:07:31

hmmmm good question LadyMuck... hard???? <wonders>

I'm in london, would you know? blush

no have not descaled it. I have bought the stuff though but did not get round to read how to use it even... god I am painting a great picture of my dwelling am I not grin. Maybe I should get up and use this time in which both dd are asleep to do such chores! Think I will.

LadyMuck MN is great: there's always someone worse than you wink.

ZippysMum Mon 10-Aug-09 15:08:53

We had a stinky machine for a while and I spent some time online researching how to sort it out.

Washing powder is the best for not getting the drawer gunked up, blocks next best and liquid is the worst. Also ours was bad as we generally did a cool wash to save energy.

We cleaned the drawer and now do a hot hot empty wash cycle once a month with soda crystals and it smells fine grin

crokky Mon 10-Aug-09 15:09:55

Recently a washing machine repair person told me that if you do lots of washing, particularly at 30 degrees and some at 40 degrees, it is so cool that it allows mank stuff to breed in your pipes. I ususally put a 90 degree empty wash on about once a month and usually choose a time directly after I have washed something really filthy so it flushes all that through as well.

I was also told that you can put milton in the washing machine to clean it out, but I have never tried this and don't know exactly how to do it.

DamonBradleylovesPippi Mon 10-Aug-09 15:10:33

<pippi adds soda crystals to this aft shopping list>

ZippysMum Mon 10-Aug-09 15:11:11

x post! Great minds grin

DamonBradleylovesPippi Mon 10-Aug-09 15:12:18

Could it also be something to do with keeping the door closed at all times? Or have I just dreamt that?

crokky Mon 10-Aug-09 15:14:11

No, you must not keep the door closed if the machine is free. You have to keep it open a bit unless you are actually using it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now