Talk

Advanced search

HELP...plagued by flies!

(10 Posts)
Shellseeker Mon 10-Aug-09 13:43:12

Just got back from 2 weeks on holiday and my kitchen is full of flies! The bin had been emptied, there was & is no food lying out, everything clean & tidy, so no obvious source. Never happened before on this scale!
Even found one in my cup of tea angry
I did have a bit of a smile when DD (4) came in and announced that she'd seen 2 flies playing piggybacks so she'd squashed them both with a magazine! However, generally they are just making me VERY CROSS!
So what do I do? Fly paper? Fly spray? Move house?
Any suggestions gratefully received!

MmeLindt Mon 10-Aug-09 13:45:12

The only thing that I have found to work is fly paper. It looks horrible, having dead flies hanging from the ceiling but it works.

<lurks in the hope that someone else has a better solution>

missingtheaction Mon 10-Aug-09 13:49:49

urgh. i hate to say it but possibly somewhere in your house, while you were away, batch of maggots hatched.

Presumably you have opened all the windows so they can fly out (obviously you will have to indicate clearly which is the open half of your half open window)

Personally i would have a really good check for any undiscovered source of maggots (behind the fridge? under the plinth?0, let as many fly away as I could, then do some flyspray if necessary.

poor you.

PinkTulips Mon 10-Aug-09 13:51:10

ime you'll generally come across something rotting in the back of a cupboard or under a piece of furniture in a few days and the fly situation will be explained... either that or a mouse or rat died in the walls.

I keep forgetting to buy fly killers but have found going on a rampage for a while with a rolled up newspaper and murdering as many as possible relieves the problem a bit, that and my fantastic fly munching cat who is like a possessed beast chasing and catching flies grin

missworried Mon 10-Aug-09 13:59:00

ok, same problem at my house.

Big blue bottles, about 12 of them in the hall yesterday.

I got them out.

Do I now need to look for a maggot nest? What would that look like? Do they lay more eggs in the same place?

Please help!

PinkTulips Mon 10-Aug-09 15:01:44

flies tend to lay eggs in rotting food (usually meat) or poo.... if you can't smell anything obvious chances are it's a dead mouse behind a wall or somesuch, not much you can do except wait it out.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 10-Aug-09 15:04:57

If you pop some honey onto a bottle top lid the little buggers will be attracted by the smell and stick to it.

I keep getting little tiny flies, I squish them though. It's really driving me nuts as I have no idea where they are coming from. I also have an annoying fruit fly in the kitchen, there's no fruit out though so it should die quite soon.

Shellseeker Fri 14-Aug-09 14:53:03

Flies dying out now, due to a combination of energetic swatting, opening the windows and a wimpy amount of flyspray (worried about poisoning the family!)

midnightexpress Fri 14-Aug-09 14:59:59

FBGM the little tiny flies might be fungus gnats. We are plagued by them. I think they live in the compost of the houseplants. Apparently they like damp conditions, so you should leave plants till they're v dry before watering to try and break the reproductive cycle.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 14-Aug-09 15:12:31

Another possible source of maggots/flies is if you have a chimney and its got a dead bird in it (we only found our rook's nest when maggots started dropping down - gross!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now