Talk

Advanced search

Maggots on wheelie bin - GROSS!

(11 Posts)
JennyPenny22 Sun 09-Aug-09 14:26:01

What do I do about them? Our bins are only empytied every 2 weeks and this week we seem to have maggots! Gross. They are on the top, by the handle and everything. Hate to see what the state of the actual contents. We still have till friday for it to be emptied!

YUK YUK YUK!

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Sun 09-Aug-09 14:27:56

spray them with fly spray and then pour boiling water over them. I hate maggots so I try to inflict as much death as possible. Not a lot you can do about preventative measures though.

QOD Sun 09-Aug-09 14:31:25

BLEURGH YOU MINGER

tee hee

Yeah I had this a couple of weeks ago, I sprayed the bin and dh cleaned it out after it was next emptied, however, it wasn't enough cos they came back again!
What I did the next time it was emptied was use tons of bleach, let it run down the sides then tipped the lot down the drain, then i literally did the toilet rim rum (you know, squirted bleach round the top edge) and let it run down and have left it like that. We have 4 days to go to next empty and none YET (but it's bloody hot today)
Isnt it horrific - yep 2 weekly emptying here too

JennyPenny22 Sun 09-Aug-09 16:03:43

Thanks - will give bleach a go. Do you think it will help to leave it open to air out a bit when they are next empty? Or would that be worse as flys can then get right inside? Don't think I can face actually washing it out properly.

PerfectPrefect Sun 09-Aug-09 16:09:13

It won't help to air I don't think.

It happens because flies get in with the rubbish.

Please don't leave bleach in your bin though. It is highly toxic and you shouldn't be exposing unknowing bin men to it - nor the landfill.

DollyPS Sun 09-Aug-09 16:12:55

its been this warm and cold weather we have been having so more flies yuck.

just make sure all bags in bin are closed and double bagged as well.

Somone said hot water the hotter the better for the buggers.

Wish the bin men would just go back to the once a week to empty them but its all this re-cycling.

We have a big family of 8 here and they always forget to empty the extra bin and we are sick of it.

JennyPenny22 Sun 09-Aug-09 16:32:48

We recycle loads. We compost everything we can, and even have seperate bits that I take round to my mums with me each time as my council don't collect them. But we would still like our bins emptied each week!

I don't know how people who use throw away nappies cope with 2 week collections. We used a few of them this week but they abosoulty stench! We usually use washables and TBH I don't know I will use a disposables again at home as even after a few days I can smell them everytime I even go to the car.

Perfectperfect - good point about the bleach and bin men. Any ideas what else I can use? Or just hot water?

JennyPenny22 Sun 09-Aug-09 16:38:01

One thing I was wondering - WHY are the maggots on the top of the wheelie bin? They are on the handle and round the edge of the top which is why it bothers me so much as they look gross without even opening the bin and scare me off if I want to put rubbish in blush. Surely they should be inside the bin?

PerfectPrefect Sun 09-Aug-09 16:44:12

There is a product from Jeyes which is a sprinkle in disenfectant designed for bins. It is granuals.

Not sure if it will deal with the maggots though - but does deal with the smell (We only use it when it pongs).

What you could do is periodically (2-3times a week?) shove in a good sqirt of fly spray and seal the lid. If you can control the flies there will be no maggots.

JennyPenny22 Sun 09-Aug-09 17:16:48

But the problem is on the outside of the bins so flies are always going to be able to get to it?

PerfectPrefect Sun 09-Aug-09 18:18:54

Yes but the maggots will have originated within the bin, so the flies will have laid their eggs in the bin. Stop the flies living in your bin you will stop the maggots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now